$1

judithwiegand

So I am one of those dads that doesn’t really know how to fix things but can watch YouTube tutorials and learn from there. We’ve been having furnace issues where the flame doesn’t stay on. Rather than call out a tech and pay $70-$80+ for a diagnostic then additional $ for who knows what, I Googled my issue out and found out that I may just have a dirty flame sensor rod. The best way to clean it is with steel wool, which I didn’t have and nothing is open on Thanksgiving. Further digging revealed that you can clean that piece with a $1 bill. 15 minutes later and some maneuvering in the furnace with my $1 bill, the piece has been cleaned, furnace is staying lit, and my wife and kiddos have heat again; success!

@zetetica I feel like I’m in a constant state of fixing our washer and dryer. And the problem is the same almost every time. A tiny sock got pulled into somewhere that it shouldn’t be able to fit.

@readinggirl Same. Everything I know about house maintenance and car maintenance is from YouTube. I feel left behind in that regard but YouTube has proven to be able to fill that gap where needed

@mrv2u Same here, and there are so many specific videos that address every problem with every model. I have an off brand electric mower and thought for sure YouTube couldn't help but I had no problem finding the issue and how to fix it quick.

@judithwiegand Well done! I just did this same fix but cleaned the thermocouple with some fine grit sandpaper. Wife was both pleased and impressed when the issues went away! That’s a win my dude!

Back