$1

@judithwiegand I think I did the exact same fix a decade ago! I’m a generally handy guy (I’m a mechanical engineer because I like fixing and building things), and YouTube is still my first stop in diagnosing and scoping a repair job when something breaks.

Congratulations on the success, and let the confidence roll into bigger and better projects.

@judithwiegand Fixing the furnace yourself is the best feeling. A few years ago found my inducer motor was seizing up and about to die. Furnace would run, then the motor would seize and kill the furnace. Part was a few hundred plus 500-600$ quote to fix.

Said screw that. Found just the motor assembly with no fan in it for like $60. Got to work with a saw in the garage and got the fan attached to it. Switched out the part and it's humming as good as new. A few days of fireplace and space heaters but so satisfying to conquer it myself.

@judithwiegand I did the same thing many years ago, then realized that I can service most anything in my house myself and I perform my own yearly maintenance on all appliances and HVAC now.

Don't forget to clean the AC condenser drip pan drain, and also install a float switch in case it gets clogged anyways (dead mouse did it to mine). Don't let an AC tech do it, they will charge you $50 to install a $3 switch.

@judithwiegand Have you met my Lord and Savior repair clinic dot com yet?

They used to have a warehouse down the street from my house, not five minutes away. My wife was on a first name basis with the counter clerk.

I rebuilt a dryer and a stove from their guides.

@judithwiegand Love this. I fixed my ac unit a few years back. I noticed there was a blinking light that seemed to blink in a pattern. Quickly went to YouTube and google, turned out that there was a bad fuse. Drove down to auto zone and got the same fuse. It took all of 30 minutes to fix.

@judithwiegand Had a similar story a couple months ago. I’ve done my own YouTube diagnostic several times to fix all types of shit. I’m too cheap to pay somebody to come out and most of the time it’s something simple. I love that feeling of pride you’re having now. Congrats!

@judithwiegand As an HVAC service tech, the dollar is actually the preferred method. Sometimes you can over do it with the steel wool and possibly create I’ll effects on the continuity of the flame rod.

Back