What's the primary responsibility?

ruben1979

I feel overwhelmed. I have 11 year old twin girls, a 9 year old son, and B/G twins who are almost a year. My husband and I are the parents of all, which is relevant because they are always with us.

My husband owns a home based business and works every day usually from like 8:30 or 9 AM until 8:00 PM 7 days a week. He is also overwhelmed.

All summer I have been making entertaining the kids the priority and putting housework on the back burner. Needless to say things went to hell. It stressed my husband and me out big time. We had a fight about it and now I feel like my top priority should be cleaning and organizing.

I feel like I CAN NOT both keep my house spotless and organized, also keep my kids entertained, have lots of friends over, etc.

I ask my kids to help, but truly have to go over their work when they are done to get it done right.

Arghhhhh

I wish I had a maid. This is depressing.

@ruben1979 Housekeeping:
  • Put the older ones to work. Show them how to do it properly, and if they don’t, have them keep doing it until it’s right. It sounds mean, but if they do it “bad” then you won’t ask them to do it again. Or, leave to live with it not being done to your liking. But they’re at the age they should be learning the basics of how to clean, cook, and just generally be an adult.
  • make a list with your husband of everything that needs to be done.Needs, not wants. Then focus on 3-5 of those. The rest can wait for weekends. Or focus on one room a day with a 15min tidy where all able people chip in.
Husband:
  • sit him down and tell him his expectations are unrealistic and frankly out of line. You’re taking care of SO many kids. That’s the priority. If he wants more done then he can hire a maid or help. Yes you’re a sahm, but you’re not everyone’s slave. If he doesn’t like it he can do more.

@ruben1979 I read something recently that changed my view on parenting. You are not responsible for entertaining your kids. You're also not responsible for saving them from disappointment. They need to work on these things themselves like muscles. You may have to take extra time to train your children in how to do housework properly. But the more you put into training now, the less you'll have to work later. Start small. You could assign prices to chores also so that they can work for money. Assign a scale to these also. For example: do the dishes. Ok = 2.00 Good = 3.00 Excellent = 5.00 let them know before hand what you expect the final product to look like. "Washing the dishes" can be done in many ways. "I'd like you to wash the dishes. What that means to me is scraping the food off the dishes, filling a sink with water and soap, scrubbing all the particles of food off the dishes, rinsing them off, putting them neatly in the drying rack. Here, let me show you how I do it and then you can try."

@cjljesus Do you have a link? I am interested. I read bringing up bebe and the author touched on this aspect of French parenting. But mostly the French parents desire to teach their child patience.

@ruben1979 When it comes to the kids helping with cleaning, there's of course stuff they just aren't capable of doing to an adult-level expectation, but 9-11 year old's are capable of a lot. It might just come down to training them and encouraging them to do a good job.

Every day, every morning, chores need to be done before you guys leave the house/start the fun stuff for the day. There's no TV/screen time until chores are finished.

If they want to do something the next day that would involve an early start... then the next morning's chores can usually be mostly shifted to the evening before.

I would suggest a chore chart/list for each kid. The chore chart/list should include pretty detailed steps/instructions (or maybe something separate with that one it), so that you're not dealing with "I forgot" or "I don't know how" all the time. Give some thought to which chores they are assigned - you want to find a good balance so that they are actively contributing, but you don't want to give them chores that are simply beyond them.

You'll run into days where chores don't get done, and the day's activity/plans never come to fruition. Or days where the kids are slow about getting their chores done, so their fun activity gets cut short. That's FINE. That's a life lesson. It is really important though that their fun activities do not occur until chores are finished...and this includes playing outside, playing with friends, screen time, arts and crafts, etc. If they don't want to do their chores, they can sit in bed, doing nothing.

You're a SAHM, not a maid/housekeeper. You contribute to the family chores, but so do the kids, because they are part of the family. Obviously the babies don't really contribute, but that's because they are babies. Your older ones didn't contribute when they were babies either.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the family has too much "stuff." When you have kids, especially when you have kids whose ages span a considerable range, its easy to collect a LOT of stuff, that seems necessary but probably isn't. Especially as your infant twins start to get a bit older and more into toys, take note of what toys they are actually playing with, and what toys they aren't playing with but keep ending up on the floor because they get thrown out of the toybox when looking for the toys they are actually playing with. You can try rotating toys too, where a bulk of the toys are kept in a bin that's out of the way, and every 2-4 weeks you rotate some/all of the toys. Keeps things cleaner and keeps the toys interesting. Same for the older kids, I've had a lot of success in getting older kids to let go of items when you explain that having fewer possessions in their room/toyroom makes cleanup much easier.

There's also room for compromise in how clean/organized things are going to be during the summer. Think about the chores that could be done, and then which ones are most important. For example, maybe right now you spend a fair amount of time folding and putting away clothes for the kids. First off, 9 and 11 year olds are capable of doing their own laundry with only minimal supervision. Second, if they don't care about their socks being matched or folded, or their play clothes being wrinkly, then that's OK. If your husband is finding it very stressful to work from home with a cluttered house, that makes sense, so think about what rooms should be a priority. Kids bedroom doors can be closed, and your husband shouldn't need to be in them much during the day. He probably does frequently see the kitchen and living room though, so maybe those are kept up better. And, maybe he needs to step up a bit more too. These are his kids as well, and during the summer you just don't have as much time. What things can he take over doing on a temporary basis?

@ruben1979 When my kids were younger, my house was not as clean as I liked during the summer. Laundry wouldn’t be folded or put away, floors not swept or mopped, fridge not cleaned etc.

I never found that balance between fun summer stuff/clean house when my kids were young. It was either “company ready” clean or “did you guys just have a party” kind of thing. LOL

You also have a lot of kids.

No advice, but I feel you.

@ruben1979 Everyone had great advice here.

Something I'm left wondering, given that he works at home 12hrs, is he actively contributing to your workload? Making dirty dishes, asking you to run errands, etc? If so, it might help for him to keep more closed off during his work hours and hire an occasional assistant. The typical parent working away from home isn't creating any extra cleanup, save for the containers used to pack their lunch and snacks and one outfit for laundry.

Consider doing leftovers for everyone for lunches instead of cooking fresh lunch, if that's what you're currently doing.

Definitely move toward chore charts. There's lots of apps for it, too. https://www.homeyapp.net/ is an example.

@ruben1979 My 9 year old puts away the dishes, vacuums the floor and has to clean her room. My 4 year old feeds all the animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens, ducks), collects the eggs, helps vacuum and helps load the dishwasher. My almost 2 year old clears the table of everything not breakable after meals. Your kids live in the house and are responsible for keeping it clean too. It helped my sanity! We started the kids with chores 2 months ago and my life is 100% better for it.

@ruben1979 Are there amy summer camps or similar activities available to you that you would feel comfortable dropping some of the kiddos off to? I do agree with other posters avout having a convo with your husband as well.

@ruben1979 I definitely think your kids could help with chores at this point.

However, once every month or 6 weeks could you afford to get a cleaning service? I have them do a deep clean so I can just maintain in between.

@ruben1979 My husband and I prioritized our rooms for cleaning. The living room and kitchen are the 2 I focus on maintaining throughout the day. At the end of the day, our 2 yr-old and my husband pickup the toys in the basement (our main play area) and her room before bed. If I have time to pick up other rooms, then great. I don't start more laundry than I can finish a day. So that means doing only 1-2 loads a day. (I only have a toddler and an infant. So laundry isn't as bad.) But my toddler helps with laundry. She's slow at it but I can pick up the kitchen while she moves things from the washer to the dryer or from the laundry basket to the washer. She loves doing that.
But prioritizing the rooms with my husband's input was really helpful. He only has the expectation of 2 rooms being presentable at the end of the day.

Back