What should be a normal wait time in the maternity ER?? And does a teaching hospital mean it’s different from a regular hospital?

clayton80

My last pregnancy I was supposed to be induced on a certain day. That same day I was supposed to get induced I was getting contractions 5-6 minutes apart so I went into the ER. I told them the issue and they had me wait. While waiting I lost my mucus plug and my contractions got stronger. I let them know and the just told me to hang tight. 6 hours comes around and I’m still in pain and they gave me an IV with penicillin. I still til this day have no idea why they gave me penicillin. I didn’t have an infection of any sort. Then they got me mixed up with another patient. They kept sending students in to ask the same questions every 2 hours. I was getting irritated because I couldn’t really focus on talking. I kept telling them I was have contraction like pain and something didn’t feel right with the baby because he wasn’t moving as much. I also kept telling them it’s the same day for my induction. They kept telling me they’re just Braxton’s hicks that I have nothing to worry about. I knew for a fact they weren’t BH. They said they’ll get me into a room soon. So, 8 more hours rolls around and I’m still in the same spot. Finally, a nurse comes in and removes my IV. At this point I’m relieved because I think I’m being helped. They tell me I needed to go back in the waiting room because they don’t have enough beds for the new patients. After 14 hours of waiting 😤 I just simply asked, “can I just go home? We’ve been here for 14 hours and no one’s has been listening to me.” Their attitude instantly changed once I said that. They offered to pay for the parking ticket and come back if I’M HAVING CONTRACTIONS or if my water breaks. I wasn’t thinking once of going back to that hospital. I was exhausted and in pain and just wanted to be in my bed. My water broke as soon as we got home from that hospital. I went to a different hospital because I was scared that hospital was going to ignore my concerns again. Sure enough I had been in active labor and baby was in distress. He pooped in the womb and I needed an emergency c-section. I also had a uterine fibroid blocking him from coming out. I wasn’t dilating anymore than 1cm since the last hospital. I felt had I went back to the last hospital something unfortunate would’ve happened to both baby and me. I’m just thankful and happy that he was healthy (9lb 2oz). Should they have made me wait that long in the ER?? Even after I explained everything that was concerning to me?? Did they have every right to turn me away?

@clayton80 After 20 weeks, my doctor says to go directly to l&d no matter what type of emergency or not it is. Her favorite thing to say is that “they’re not afraid of vaginas”. I’ve also had friends have emergency procedures like c-sections at teaching hospitals and the residents have totally botched the surgeries (my friend had terrible scar tissue that led to her having a later ectopic).

@clayton80 I'm sorry you had this terrible experience. Where I was we were told to go straight to maternity ward when having any baby related issues instead of ER, I guess this was to save from such scenarios. ER is more generic and they could not have been familiar with all signs of labor and also busy with people dying (sorry to say that). Plus there exist shitty hospitals too, unfortunately. Glad you got proper help in the other one you went to!

This was a teaching hospital that did this. I know students need their learning and it’s really important that they get that, but I feel like some aren’t being taught the importance of patient care and needs. Some are just there for a check. We depend on these doctors to help us take care of our health and save our lives. These students are the future. I never want to go through this situation again where my concerns are being brushed off. That’s scary and irritating