What’s the game plan today for my 4 y/o?

We got him to bed at 8. Found out at 10 his light was on and he was playing with his trains. Put him to bed again. Put him to bed a third time at 11:30.

Then he woke up at 5:00, made himself breakfast, and played with his train again. He usually gets 12 hours of sleep. Overall super weird night. He never does any of this.

Should I send him to daycare still? Keep him home and have him nap for like 6 hours? Make him push through till the night?

@elitecheapjersey I’d send him to daycare…. But I’d also let the daycare know he had a weird night and might be a little tired/grumpy. After that capri sun wears off, he’s going to be a terror… luckily, that is a them problem. It’s not the first or the last time a daycare would have to deal with a child that didn’t get a ton of sleep.

If your feeling guilty about the extra work your making your daycare have to do… refer to your last bill and carry on.

@zandonlink You’re right, that’s a “let daycare handle it”. I have sympathy for the individual workers there but since my child’s day care charges and arm and a leg and they’ve apparently decided a rotating cast of characters is much better for a room of toddlers who value consistency and relationships above all else- Bye, Felicia, have a nice time.

@clandrovers Totally hear you on the empathy towards the workers, especially if they are nice and build strong meaningful relationships with the kiddos. That being said, it's a daycare and I pay good money for my kid to go there so I can go make okay money somewhere else haha. A tired grumpy kid is totally something those folks have handled before.

@elitecheapjersey Just roll with your normal routine if they're up and moving. Keep that momentum. Especially if they're getting a nap at day care. Hopefully it makes bedtime easier. As far as the not sleeping and getting his own breakfast, for us that usually means cognitive jump, so you might be looking forward to some cool new stuff.

@elitecheapjersey Play it by ear. Continue on as normal. Does the daycare do naps? You might have an early bed time tonight. As others have mentioned, he might be sick. My anecdotal experience, my son is the opposite when he's sick. He'll sleep in till 730 and go to bed super early when he's sick.

@elitecheapjersey Coincidentally my 4 year old was restless last night too. She slept from 8:30 to about 11, woke up to tinkle but went back to sleep instantly (which is normal). Woke up again at 2:30 and was wide awake. Basically stayed up til 5 or so, kept waking me back up for water, the bathroom again, etc. She did go back to sleep for those 2 more hours or so and then got up for preschool.

Either decision is reasonable, going in or not.

@elitecheapjersey He’ll prolly raise hell at daycare, my reco would be to keep him home. You never know when he’s gonna hit the wall

EDIT: Holy crap, excuse me for thinking worse case scenario