Wash routine reassurance

highlyfavoured1

TLDR: is there anything about my wash routine you would change, it’s working for us but I’m anxious and doubting myself.

We have been CDing for about a month now. Pockets during the day and a GMD workhorse + hemp booster with a cover overnight. We are loving it so far. Our current wash routine is, once a diaper is soiled/wet we plop any solids, spray thoroughly (including pee diapers) and then we remove the insert from the pocket and line dry in our backyard. Once they are dry, they go into a plastic open hamper and they remain outside in the hamper until the basket is enough for one load of laundry, right now we’re washing once every 4-6 days

We have a top load GE and have hard water. First wash is cold water, 1/2 c bleach, 1/4 cap of liquid Persil free and clear deep wash with extra rinse. Our second wash is hot water, 1/4 cap of persil, deep wash with extra rinse. We were having bit of residue left over that was causing a rash so we’ve added a a third “quick wash” cycle with no detergent and cold water just to get everything rinsed.

Inserts go in the dryer on high, anything with PUL gets line dried.

Thus far we’ve had no stinks, no stains and my sons eczema has resolved entirely.

My question is, am I doing too much? Is this excessive?? Am I doing something wrong? What would you change?

@highlyfavoured1 That’s way more than I do.

I personally wash every 2-3 days. If it’s an easy plop diaper, I’ll go ahead and handle that immediately. If not, I snap it closed and stick it in the wet bag. I don’t take the liners out until I’m ready to wash. First wash, is on warm on the heavy duty setting with just tide free & clear. Then I “fluff” the diapers (just pull them off the side of the drum). Second wash is the same as the first. I toyed around with Borax and different wash settings. Ultimately, this is the easiest for me and the diapers have never smelled. I do have a couple pockets that are very faintly stained, but that was from waiting too long to wash a particularly messy one. I have never tried to bleach any of them.

@highlyfavoured1 How many diapers do you think you’re washing in load? It might be too many for your machine and they’re not getting clean bc it’s too overloaded. I can do every 3-4 days but I’m using prefolds and flats and we use disposable overnight still and that’s pushing the limits of my large machine.

@highlyfavoured1 You’re only using 4-5 a day including overnight? Is that right? I’d take a look at your washer capacity and see if you’re possibly overloading. I don’t know about the amount of detergent you’re using but it sounds reasonable ish? I’d just further question if you need detergent in both washes if you’re using bleach as well if they’re working against each other somehow.

@highlyfavoured1 The only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is only washing every 4-6 days. I’d encourage you to keep a sharp eye out for any ammonia stink, especially with your night diapers. If that happens, you can do a bleach reset and then you’d probably want to consider a daily prewash in the machine instead of the rinsing you’re currently doing.