Van vs SUV vs minivan?

kathyparkar1

We’re currently driving a 15-passenger van. In a couple more years, we’ll be able to downgrade to a smaller 8-seater. We’ve had a 7-passenger minivan that recently died, and I liked it, but we didn’t always fill every seat. What’s better when every seat is full? A 10 passenger van, an 8 passenger SUV (full size like a Suburban, or optional 3rd row like an Atlas or a Highlander), or an 8 passenger minivan?
What’s your experience?

@kathyparkar1 Minivan all the way. They ride smooth, have automatic doors for when your hands are full, and there’s plenty of space between everybody so the kids aren’t screaming directly in your ear while you drive.

Never understood the desire for full sized SUVs. I had to drive one back in college when I nannied for a family and it was sooo much harder to navigate and park.

@kathyparkar1 We have a 2023 suburban, base model, with 3 bench seats, so it seats 9. If I remember correctly it was only the base model with that option, and the vehicle was a custom order so it took a while to come (but that was during the shortage so hopefully things have improved)

@kathyparkar1 The third row of something like an Atlas or Highlander are virtually unusable for kids older than about 8. There is almost no room back there and with the third row up you have very limited storage space in the trunk. I think an SUV like that would be better served as a second vehicle or once most of the kids are out of the house.

Personally I'd choose the minivan over the full size suburban. I just find minivans way more versatile than SUVs. Depending on which one you choose, it's easier to remove or reconfigure seating. It's easier to load people and items into the minivan. I think the only time I'd choose a suburban again over a minivan is if I lived in a place where I needed the additional undercarriage clearance.

@kathyparkar1 I'll say this, ever since I got a minivan I've been invisible to traffic cops. Also, as a trade off for having to drive a minivan they come with some nice creature comforts standard. My Honda has a great stereo.

Back