[Update] After ignoring the doctors, we gave birth to a healthy baby!

This is an update for this post where I was asking for advice on inducing labor. The short of it was that our doctors wanted to induce labor for our son at 37 weeks at 4 pounds 6 ounces. Their explanation was that he was at the 2 percentile in terms of weight and they don't know what's wrong. I believe that their claim about his low weight is dubious and a misapplication of a really old data set about birthweight. Feel free to skip the bulleted personal section below and skip to my thoughts in the empirical portion.

After having a lot of serious discussion and consulting with our parents and a doctor friend, we elected to have biweekly ultrasounds and continue monitoring the baby. We figured if ultrasound says he healthy, we'll just keep waiting.

Here were a few other anecdotal reasons why we decided to wait:
  • The ultrasounds consistently said there was bloodflow to the placenta and umbilical cord
  • Both of us were small babies at birth
  • We did not focus heavily on diet because the doctors never stressed it. We figured with more calorie dense food, we could bring the baby's weight up in the crucial last few weeks.
Here's the more empirically driven doubts I had:

I noticed that in the ultrasound report it said "Alexander 2%", so there's some citation. After some digging, I could not find the original birth weight paper BUT I did find this lovely study outlining how the Alexander study is out of date. I was shocked to find a couple details from that study:

The Alexander dataset is over 30 years old. Granted the dataset was very big, but human body types have changed due to aesthetic preferences and dietary changes.

The original dataset was only 6% asian. They were extrapolating general population data where my ethnicity was but a small percentage. Are you a minority? Your representation is at best 16% and at worst less than 1%.

The last damning conclusion I'll take straight from the conclusion of the study:
"For example, in 1991, a birth weight of 2,000 g was at the 50th percentile between 31 and 32 weeks of gestation, whereas in 2011, a birth weight of 2,000 g now corresponds to the 50th percentile between 33 and 34 weeks of gestation."
i.e. babies weigh less than they did 30 years ago by up to 3 weeks of gestation

After all that, we decided to wait and induced much later at the 39th week. At that point, we were certain the baby was of an adequate weight and we recognized there were increased risk of stillborn birth, however small they were initially. Our baby ended up being 6 pounds 10 ounces and the picture perfect example of health. I have half a mind to have kept our placenta just to rub it in the doctor's face who initially dismissed our concerns about inducing so early but I'll settle for this reddit post. I hope you find this info helpful and if you're thinking of inducing early, you DEFINITELY don't have to listen to the doctors.

tl;dr we ignored the doctor's advice to induce because our baby was low weight, turns out their data kinda sucks and we were right

@lizlovesalotofthings Normally I cringe at "ignore the doctor" posts, but it's really clear that you followed the data and identified a shortcoming in the available research. Congrats on your positive outcome! You might enjoy the r/ScienceBasedParenting sub, they love critical literature reviews like this.

@sayjay9274 The number of OBGYN who push induction is too damn high.

It’s crazy because the statistics on medical intervention in US hospitals is abominable and should cause the entire profession to be ashamed (but they aren’t).

@lizlovesalotofthings
The original dataset was only 6% asian. They were extrapolating general population data where my ethnicity was but a small percentage. Are you a minority? Your representation is at best 16% and at worst less than 1%.

This is so common and quite annoying when dealing with doctors who don't take this into account when measuring growth. As parents we try not to care too much about where our kid falls in the size percentiles except to make sure our kid stays on the same part of the curve.

@lizlovesalotofthings This reminds of a good friend’s experience- she is also Asian, and her doctor wanted to induce at 37 weeks bc he said baby was too small, 8th percentile. It was a very white town, and she figured the doctor had little experience with people of color. She went to a bigger teaching hospital w a more diverse patient population for a second opinion. They said baby looked fine, and “you’re Asian, and we know Asian babies tend to be smaller.” Sure enough, baby was born perfectly healthy at 39 weeks. Good for you for advocating for your family!

@lizlovesalotofthings Exact same thing happened to me , ignored their suggestions to induce because every US showed perfectly healthy . Husband is Chinese and small . 6lb9oz baby born .

Congratulations to you ! I'm glad you went with your gut and made informed decisions. I truly think their scales need tweaking , and late ultrasounds are so inaccurate

@lizlovesalotofthings Informative. Seems you made a good informed decision with consensus of decision makers vs blindly ignoring science and data.

Also had a tiny 37 weeker. Both parents short of stature. But my signs/risks indicated that was the correct decision at 47 years old.

Just glad for you (congrats!) and as a comment on your title, also glad this isn’t that sub s@&tmomsgroupssay which has terrible consequences of uninformed people putting quackery over child’s best interests.

Welcome baby!

@lizlovesalotofthings Huh. We're currently at 37.5 weeks and in a similar situation. Wife is Chinese, I'm part Chinese, baby is 4th percentile. I guess the doctors main concern is that wife was 6 lbs and I was 9.5lbs at birth and she's been recommending to induce for the past couple weeks. Baby is healthy and kicking like crazy. Our doctor is from China and most of her patients are also Chinese due to easier communication. Wondering how often she see's low percentile babies.

We are seeing her tomorrow, so let's see how things go and if we can continue delaying.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!

@petercouture Thank you stranger! 🙂 For us, the doctors told us each ultrasound was effective for 72 hours. If you elect to wait, what's helpful is that each successive ultrasound where the baby is healthy is further proof everything is fine.

@lizlovesalotofthings I'm a statistician and how doctors talk about medical studies sucks major ass. A doctor recommended a diet to lower the risk of autism for our baby and when I looked up the source study of the diet, it was only done in rats! Our doctor read the study wrong and her recommended diet changes missed the majority of foods that contained the chemical we were supposed to avoid (she said to avoid twinkies but really the preservative propionate is found in almost all major bread and tortilla brands).

It feels like medical science is all voodoo for anything that isn't a common medical issue.

I try to not dig too much and trust the experts but I really question what they are experts in sometimes.

@vanoldenphatt Exactly, which makes you wonder how exactly they can be so sure that induction is even necessary? Our doctors and even midwives were so dismissive when we pointed this out. They went out of their way to find more little details as to how he's small just so they could convince us more. 🙄

@lizlovesalotofthings Thank you for posting this!

I'm currently nearly 34 weeks and keep having growth scans (they said baby was 10th centile and the last scan said 3rd but the measurements weren't accurate)

Feeling stressed and waiting for another growth scan next week.

I'm only 5'2"!

@cedasheridan Yep my wife is only 5'3" and was barely over 100 pounds at the start of her pregnancy. Do focus on eating calorie dense food though. In the last few months, she ended up gaining 7-8 pounds, which really movedthe needle for our baby's weight.

Back