Unexpected anxiety

For some reason, the stats on genetic anomalies didn’t phase me one bit (honestly, didn’t even look at any #s) before getting pregnant. Which probably sounds irresponsible but it seems so commonplace to wait until later to become parents these days. BUT , Now that we are well into our first trimester, I have freaked myself out by googling the odds of DS etc. and it seems much higher than I would have thought. Suddenly, I can’t stop worrying about all the “what ifs” associated with advanced maternal age. I know this is my last pregnancy and really want to just enjoy it. Instead I feel paranoid.
Hubs thinks it’s my hormones and doesn’t want 1st trimester screening incase it’s a false positive and we end up harming an otherwise healthy baby with diagnostic testing in search of answers. (Which we would definitely want).

Anyone have insight on the stats (especially for genetic abnormalities) being out-dated for 35+ age range? I’ll be almost 37 at delivery …should I push to get 1st trimester screenings even though there are many cases of false positive flags?

I am just so worried I might have messed things up for my two healthy children.

@behindcrossroads Non-Invasive Prenatal Test, also known as Cell Free DNA. It’s a blood draw from mom when the fetus is 10-12 weeks. Fetal DNA can be pulled out of mom’s blood and checked for chromosomal abnormalities. It’s a screening test rather than diagnostic like amniocentesis, but it is HIGHLY accurate.

Back