Understanding sons blood test results - Hemoglobin

godincenter

Hi. So the pediatrician just called and said my 1 year old is anemic. His hemoglobin is 10.7 g/dL and it should be 12.5. He eats a lot of iron rich foods so I am confused by these results. Also, from researching, it looks like some charts don’t believe 10.7 g/dL is low? Although, sounds like pediatrician typically sees 12.5 so in that regard it is low. Does hemoglobin levels change from day to day? Could it be that he just didn’t eat enough iron that day or day prior? I looked up similar posts on Reddit and some ppl were concerned about developmental delays and lower iq being linked to iron deficiency? Just wanted to get other ppl’s (who are more educated than me on this topic) opinion on this! Thank you.

@godincenter Up to Date shows a reference range for his age of 11-13.5 g/dL, so he’s just below the target range. Iron-deficiency anemia is pretty common in 1 year olds, and isn’t dependent on what he ate yesterday. In general, people store a little extra iron when it’s plentiful and during short periods of lower iron intake can dip into their reserves, and you can be iron deficient without fully reaching anemia if your reserves are low. You measure the reserves by looking at blood ferritin level. So the bottom line is that if he’s anemic, you might be able to get his hemoglobin levels up by 0.3 g/dL to normal within a few days, but you’re not going to fix his ferritin levels and iron reserves without a larger change. It’s also worth asking your pediatrician if they want to do follow-up testing - things like B12 deficiency can also cause anemia, as well as genetic conditions and the like, so you want to know whether it’s actually iron deficiency or something else.

There are other nutrients and foods that can reduce your ability to absorb iron, like dairy, while vitamin C increases your iron absorption, so it could be in part due to what he’s eating with the iron-rich foods. Also, heme iron (from animal sources) is easier to absorb than non-heme iron (plant sources, supplements, etc).

As for things like behavior disorders and low IQ with iron deficiency, there’s some evidence for long-term sleep trouble and resulting behavioral issues, but the effect size seems to be measurable but small, and there are confounding factors like medical care in general, parental socioeconomic status, parental IQ, other environmental factors, etc. I wouldn’t be concerned about long-term effects so much as I would short-term - having been anemic, it certainly affected my mood, energy levels, mental acuity at the time because I was so fatigued, sleep, and anxiety levels. Since he can’t really tell you how he feels, you definitely want to address it with his pediatrician to make sure he’s feeling and functioning at his best.

@godincenter Did your pediatrician recommend a next step to follow up this result? There are a lot of reasons hemoglobin can be low (and this is not very severe in terms of anemia, but should still be followed up according to your peds directions). If this was a finger prick test, the next step is likely a blood draw to get a better understanding of the characteristics of the red blood cells - are they too big, too small, all different sizes because they're dying too quickly, etc.

Iron deficiency is a really common reason for anemia in toddlers. The biggest culprit is kids drinking too much cows milk (more than 16-20oz a day).

There are also genetic forms of anemia - sickle cell disease, thalassemia, etc. You may or may not know this runs in your family. Different forms of anemia are more common amongst people of different ethnic backgrounds.

Lead toxicity can cause anemia (although the office near me does lead and hemoglobin testing together at 1 year old so maybe you already know this is normal?).

There are other reasons but those are the most common that I see. On any given day your hemoglobin might vary a little but probably not more than one whole number in each direction (I don't have a study to back that up but I look at a lot of daily labs in the hospital) - and typically not even by that much.