Trilingual toddler

christsfalse

Hi a question for the parents in a multilingual home. Did your little ones take longer to form 2 word sentences? Mine is 18 months and saying about 23 words in 3 languages , but not really saying two word sentences. She says “uh oh” and “thank you” but I think she thinks it’s one word. I know it could take a while still but I’d like to hear from other bilinguals/ trilinguals.☺️

@christsfalse Mine is bilingual and she did two or three word sentences by then but she's clearly made language a priority. Her bilingual cousin isn't doing it at two years yet. They're all averages 🤷‍♀️ I see so many differences at this age - one kid I know couldn't walk by 18 months but he could draw circles. The other can't speak but can run and jump. Another one can barely speak but knows all the numbers. Another one is average with everything but can do pretty complicated puzzles already.

@christsfalse I had the same worry at that age and a month or so later she had a language explosion, one or more new words every day and started with simple two/three word sentences. You're right on the cusp of it and you're about to have your mind blown by how quickly they can pick things up!

@christsfalse My stepdaughter is bilingual (English and Russian). I was not around when she was a toddler but I know her speech was a little delayed and her pediatrician was not concerned as it is apparently normal in bilingual households.

@christsfalse It's very common for children who are learning multiple languages to take longer to talk. Imagine learning like filling a bucket with words. Kids start talking when the bucket overflows. Kids with more than one bucket have more to fill and so over flow (talk) a bit later

@christsfalse We are trying to be trilingual with our son. At 21 months his language exploded. He started repeating every word I said. I'm sure they are fine and they will learn a lot before they are 2!

@kreekcritter Basically everyone speaks to her in a different language. I’m my side of the family speaks to her in English, her father’s side speaks French and Innu with her. I’d like to send her to a Native American school here because they teach Innu to the kids starting at pre-k☺️

@christsfalse My best friends family is trilingual. English is her and her husbands second language. They both speak their native language to their toddler and English to each other. Their toddler seemed to start talking a little later than average but once language started for their toddler it was second nature in all three languages.