Toddler , Help!

larryb500

So I have a 2 year old and I’m not even exaggerating when I say he is the pickiest eater. It started when he started eating. I can name about 10 or less foods he’ll eat, probably less. I’ve tried EVERYTHING. Sitting together to eat, making him wait also I should tell you he will wait and refuse to eat for however long it takes for me to give in. I’ve tried giving him a new food along with food I know he likes. It’s become a major problem. One day I tried making him several new foods and he didn’t eat that day, I went to sleeping crying feeling as if I’m absolutely failing as a mom plus I’ll usually give him because I can’t stand the thought of him going to sleep hungry. I’m scared this will become a problem with his health because he wants chicken and fries every single day. He will eat fruit but no vegetables, he won’t even eat pizza or a PB&J . I’m wondering if you guys can tell me something to help before I make a doctors appointment because this is my last resort and I’ve mentioned it to his last doctor but he said make him wait and he’ll grow out of it but I swear it’s always been this way. My 9 month old eats everything 😂😂

@larryb500 Has he always been this way, or did something trigger it? Does he have any other particular sensory needs? What are his “safe” foods? Will he have any mixed foods? Like a smoothie, or cake made with courgette or other fruits/veges hidden?

I was talking with one of my mum friends the other day, and she says her brother ate only pizza or chicken nuggets for years… and in retrospect, when I was growing up it seemed much more acceptable to just have more restricted diets…

I’d personally keep trying offering other food, but have at least one safe food each meal. No pressure for him, and I wouldn’t expect any of the extra stuff to be eaten - but I would praise any attempt to try a new food. Smoothies are amazing if your kid will accept them. And hidden veges in baking

But if he also has trouble with changes to routine, unusual play, not seeming to recognise emotions in others, poor eye contact or anything else then I’d see a doctor as neurodivergence can have significant sensory difficulties, which can MASSIVELY restrict the diet (and needs to be handled with care)

@larryb500 I wonder if he has a sensory issue with other foods, and maybe is really sensitive to texture/etc.

But also, you're not failing as a mom if your child doesn't want to eat certain things - you do your best but if your kids don't want it, you can't force them to! Try to zone in on what he does like and give him more of the healthy options. Hopefully he will grow out of it and/or learn to speak enough to tell you why he doesn't like things!

@derrickb Yes, he will touch certain foods and it’s automatically a no. Sometimes he will smell them and no. He does try sometimes but not very often. I’m trying to be hopeful he’ll outgrow it.

@larryb500 Some toddlers eat. Some don't. Mine doesn't. 2 days of the week, she'll eat. The other 5, she's a raging, hungry mess who will NOT eat. I've tried everything. Pediatrician is just like "yeah". I'm confident she'll outgrow it. Sincerely, a mother of a very picky 3.5 yo.

She ate everything as a baby. Then one day, she made a switch to starve herself. We're still there 2 years later.

@kilmanagh I’m so sorry, but I absolutely understand. And thank you for sharing that, I do feel a little better. He’ll eat good one day then the next day or two hardly eat and throwing fits all day. It’s a constant cycle .

@larryb500 My 2yo is the same! And I actually can't guarantee that what she ate yesterday will be acceptable to her today - I don't know what goes on in her head 🤣 the generally accepted foods are fries/chips and potato waffles (but not potato in any other format), popcorn chicken (not really any other types of chicken) toast, banana, apple, peach, bread with butter, vegan cheese (we're working on a cows milk intolerance), ham, jammy dodger biscuits, rice crispies.

I have been through periods where this drives me mad and I worry that she isn't getting the nutrition she needs. But I can't force her to eat different things so now I offer her whatever we're having an don't get upset or angry when she doesn't touch it, I just make her some toast and fruit. Don't beat yourself up - you're doing your best, these tiny little humans we made have minds and big feelings of their own. I honestly don't believe that they will be teenagers doing this, and if they are, by then their brains will be much more developed to have the discussion with them. There are enough battles raising a toddler, if you can be at peace with this one, you can save your energy for others ❤️

He has always been this way. He’s been extremely picky since the day he started eating solid foods. He will only accept chicken and potatoes in any form really , and he does love his fruit. He just absolutely refuses to try any new foods. He’s a late talker but that’s all. He can talk and communicate very well he just has a lot of trouble pronouncing things sometimes but he’s just coming out of his regression that happened when his sister was born. He does very well playing with his sister and he pays her butt when she cry’s, I mean everything else is good. He likes to count and do abcs . He’s right on track it’s just the eating is such a problem it worry’s me. I never force but I just pray he’ll try something . I will try smoothies though because he’ll try any drink. I was also this picky growing up my entire life and I’m very anemic and I don’t want him to be lacking anything his body needs.