Tips on overcoming low supply due to thyroid issues

romans1212

TLDR: I'm pregnant with my third child and despite wanting to breastfeed have struggled with low supply for recently discovered medical reasons.

Baby #1- couldn't transfer milk, got formula with a little pumped milk for approx 6 weeks, but it was unsustainable (e.g. 3 20+ minute pumping sessions added up to 1oz a day).

Baby #2- latched and transferred milk, but supply was so low that she couldn't get back to birth weight. Attempted to pump when she started pediatrician recommended full formula feeds at 1 week but didn't even get drops.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in between babies 1&2, and then diagnosed with Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism shortly before conceiving #3 and have been on Synthroid for the duration of this pregnancy. Likely was hypothyroid in both previous pregnancies.

Anyone have experience with this?

@romans1212 Usually when using thyroid medication and it is controlled BF supply is fine as others have mentioned - if the medication is the correct dosage - often they will adjust levels during pregnancy and then after baby comes as well for thyroid issues.

PCOS - this is separate from thyroid issues and has its own set of challenges around breastfeeding supply and I would suspect the focus of an LC on your team would be here.

I would say best bet to book a prenatal appointment with an IBCLC - they should do a visual exam checking for possible IGT, go over more details including past supply issues, medications, etc. and come up with a plan to help get your breastfeeding off to the best possible start.

Often when there were challenges before with production, we would say talk to your OB/primary care/midwife about harvesting colostrum so that you have some milk on hand before baby comes the first day in case there are any sugar issues noted with baby (common with PCOS mums) where they want X mL measured.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

@romans1212 I have hashimotos and I’ve breastfed 4 babies (each over 1 year) and never had supply issues. I think you’ll be fine if your levels are well controlled. Best wishes!

@romans1212 Not exactly like you but I have no thyroid having had it surgically removed before pregnancy. My levels are well regulated on levothyroxine and I’ve had no issues with my supply and still nursing at a year. If your levels are now good on synthroid, you shouldn’t have any issues I think. Good luck!

Back