Tips for helping new mom sister-in-law

judytaylor10

TL;DR: My sister-in-law & brother-in-law have invited/asked me to come help care for my young nephew while she gives birth/help after they arrive home with the new baby. I do not have children and am not sure how to be most helpful and am hoping for some tips.

My sister-in-law P (39) is pregnant with her second child, and is due in October. She and her husband T (43) have invited/asked me to come help watch my nephew R who will be almost 2 (22 months) in October; both while they are in the hospital and after while she recovers. She is planning to have a scheduled c-section so the timing is all set (though I know things can change).

I (35) have no living children. My partner and I have had several pregnancy losses (two of which have been late term) so I feel like I understand how to help while she is pregnant, but post delivery I am a bit clueless. (no worries re: mental health here - we have had and continue to have lots of therapy). Anyway, I want to make sure I am actually being helpful and not just a house guest that is in the way. I also want to make sure my nephew R is having a good time. I need some tips from parents on both how to be helpful to my brother and sister-in-law and also how to entertain my nephew. What are some age appropriate activities? What help would you have appreciated? Should I bring anything special?

In preparation for the visit I plan to get my vaccines updated (flu/tdap/whopping cough...all that good stuff). Anything else I should be thinking about health wise?

We are all pretty close and enjoy hanging out together and talk frequently - though we live far away from one another so generally only see one another 5 or 6 times a year. I mention this because I am not worried about the family dynamics or hanging out with my nephew - whom I love immensely.

Please help!

Back