Thrush

haroldii

My baby is 7 weeks and for weeks now she’s had thrush on her tongue. The pediatrician prescribed me medicine to give to her orally every 6 hours for 10 days. I’ve been giving her medicine on and off but just now started doing it more consistently as the thrush doesn’t seem to be going away. I tried cleaning it but saw some slight blood on the gauze when I was cleaning. The pediatrician told me to stop cleaning and the medicine should clear it up but it doesn’t seem to be going away. Any tips and anyone experience this?

@haroldii My 9 week old has had thrush for about 4 weeks now. We were prescribed some ointment to rub on his tongue 4 times a day, and also on your nipples (if breast feeding) which we've done for about three weeks now. It's showing signs of getting better but our nurse said it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to go away. Also we were told to try and keep the nipples aerated as much as possible to prevent the bacteria from growing.

@lbrokk Thank you! I’m EFF and we wash and sanitize our bottles and nipples like crazy before feeding her. She’s been on the medication for almost 3 weeks now (on and off, however, more consistently now) and just like you 4x a day. I’m just worried about giving her medication for that long and if what the nurse said to you is true- it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for it to go away- is that ok to keep them on medication for that long?

@haroldii Your baby is just going to need the medication for longer if you keep giving it to her haphazardly. Just give it as prescribed until the thrush goes away. If giving meds for that long wasn't okay, then your doctor wouldn't prescribe it lol

@haroldii My now 3 month old had it at 8 weeks. She was on the oral meds 4x a day for 2 weeks. It was a pain in the ass to give it all to her but by the end of the two weeks it was gone. Just keep with the meds as directed.

@haroldii You need to “paint” the medicine on the tongue/cheeks/inner lips if possible. Try using a Q-tip or something similar. If it says give 1ml, squirt a little on the Q-tip and try to paint the tissue and then squirt the rest in baby’s mouth. Or ask your pediatrician if they have recommendations for exactly how to give the medicine - it’s not as easy as just giving the dose into the mouth like antibiotics would be.

Sterilize all nipples and pacifiers after each use.

It can take awhile for thrush to go away but if you’re giving the med consistently and correctly and not noticing a difference after a week, I’d ask the doctor about a different medication. Gentian Violet is an option as is fluconazole.

Back