Swaddles and Sleepsacks

iamcliff

Hi everyone I'm working on my registry and I have a lot of questions. We're having a summer baby (due July 8) and live in NC. In the summer I keep the house around 72-74° during the day and 68-70° at night (depends how hot it is, I don't want the HVAC murdering itself to keep up but my husband doesn't sleep well if it's too hot). During the winter it's 68° during the day and 66° at night. The baby's room runs a few degrees hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter and we can adjust the house temp if/when it's a problem (small house perks :D)

Okay so finally! My question is will a Halo Swaddle Sleepsack be too warm? The TOG is 1.5 and I can't find their swaddles in anything less. We also ordered Sleepeas Happiest Baby swaddles (they are having an awesome sale), those have "vents" which is nice. I'm also registering for some standard muslin swaddling blankets.

For sleepsacks I'm also a little confused. So far I've registered for a Halo Sleepsack wearable blanket in .5 TOG in Medium 6-12m 16-24lbs, a Woolino sleep bag 2m-4yr and I'm considering adding a Kyte Baby sleep bag in 1 TOG in Medium 18-30lbs. I figure we can add/remove layers underneath depending on the temp at the time he starts using these or do we need a 1.5+ TOG? Should I skip or add anything? Are these TOGs correct for our usual house temps? (And of course we don't mind adjusting so baby can be more comfortable) Also can the Halo Swaddles (1.5 TOG) be used as regular sleepsacks when we're done with swaddling?

@iamcliff I had a halo sleep sack swaddle that was cotton and worked like a dream with my July baby. I think it was 1 or 1.5 TOG, we would put him in a short sleeved onesie or just his diaper underneath the swaddle if it was too hot

As far as regular sleep sacks go - if you have a woolino you're set for pretty well any temp. You just put different levels of layers under the sleep sack - we were in a poorly temp. controlled basement suite and found the woolino worked fine almost always. (Very cold we went for fleece jammies with a short sleeved onesie underneath, very hot he wore nothing but the sleep sack and a diaper)

A swaddle and a woolino would have you completely covered for sizes and TOGs, but of course if you've got the means and want to try different sleep sacks then go for it! It can be nice to have options on hand, you never know what your little one will prefer.

@iamcliff We keep our house similar in regards of AC and we used the cotton halo sleepsacks and long sleeved pjs or footie pjs at first! We liked the Burt’s bees as she got older because they were generous in size. Once she got over a year, she was good with just footie pjs and eventually a little toddler blanket over her while she slept in her crib!

@iamcliff I live in Texas and my daughter was born last January. My husband is from Australia (no central AC) so in the summer, our condo gets hot. Especially with floor to ceiling windows.

After hours of researching sleep sacks and swaddles etc, we finally figured out that she sleeps best just in her diaper. Or maybe a short sleeve onesie. She was about 5-6 months old at that point.

@iamcliff We used a love to dream 0.5 tog sleep sack for our Hawaii babe. Worked great! Also kept his arms up because whenever we had them down in a sleepsack he'd break out.

Back