Suggestions for short torso 5'3" C-section mom

mshelia

I'm expecting my second child in April, scheduled c section delivery. I will have a just barely 2 year old in the house and I have this vision of baby wearing as this life saving tactic I can use to calm and hold my newborn while juggling the toddler/house. What do people recommend for the newborn days and early c section recovery? I've been looking at the ktan and solly wraps and also soft structured carriers like the ergo embrace. I had an embrace with my first but never was able to carry him comfortably and without him fussing. I am feeling pretty intimidated.

@mshelia I couldn’t baby wear for ten weeks. I had a lot of low back and abdominal pain while my core recovered. I’m using Tula free to grow now and it’s amazing!!

@mshelia I used both types with my son from a few weeks out. My son was big at 9lbs, so the structured carrier was easier than the wrap pretty quickly. I did underestimate the effect of a C-section and pregnancy on my pelvic floor, and it was exacerbated by baby wearing so just a heads up if you feel lower back pain or pelvic pressure esp early on before your abs get a chance to recover.

@anthonyg72 Thank you so much. You addressed my c section concern and I'll keep that in mind and may wait for 4-5 weeks to babywear and walk at the same time. This may also help my anxiety about putting a brand spanking new baby in a carrier. I have help for the first 3 weeks so that's good.

@mshelia A woven wrap isn’t stretchy. They can hold much larger weights that way. I haven’t personally used on but you could ask this on r/babywearing and people would have some good recommendations!

@mshelia I think any apron style carrier would work. Ergo embrace, aerloom, happy baby, Integra baby (I have this one and love it), sakura bloom, hope and plum, pikkolo. Stretchy wraps are great for newborn stage, but depending on the climate you live in they might get very hot because of multiple layers

@mshelia Second time mom here, 5’5” and also a short torso, second C-section with a 4 year old at home. I loved my Solly wrap for the first 5 months or so!! I used it all the time and it was so handy for contact naps. I didn’t really baby wear the first time. This was awesome. Highly recommend.

@mshelia I had a C-section about 6 weeks ago. Also have a toddler just shy of 2, and am 5’3”. I didn’t like the wraps mainly bc it was too much work getting them on and off amidst the crazy. I have been wearing the Tula for the past 2 weeks and really like it. With my son we did an ErgoBaby but it’s not as cozy. The Tula is super simple to put on and really just easy all around. My baby girl is 9ish pounds and is fitting really well. I wear it right up under my bust so I have no incision issues.

Back