Sudden angry 6 yo. Is this normal and I'm just traumatized or should I be concerned?

rsdar

Added context: I am a 28f who learned in Jan I have PTSD from my childhood, severe Anxiety and BPD. I suspect I have autism and other things but my psychologist won't give me any other diagnosis until my PTSD is treated first and foremost. I was in therapy but things with therapy went sideways and I got hurt and haven't picked it back up due to emotional exhaustion, but plan to start back up when I've rested.

My son turned 6 in July and now suddenly he's been having these very angry outbursts when he is home and doesn't get his way. For example: We sometimes let him play on a learning leapfrog tablet or play Minecraft or a racing game for 30 min to an hour. When he's reached his limit, we typically tell him he's got 5 more minutes or till the end of the race and it's time to put the games away. This is when his meltdowns start. He'll tell us no and move away from us so we can't take the controller away to turn the game off. This is when we remind him that we talked about it before hand and we told him he'd only have x amount of time. When it comes time to take it he'll lose it. He'll go completely rigid and sorta scream, but it's in his throat and his mouth is closed, then start to threaten us. "if you don't give me the game I'm gonna x" sometimes it's 'not talk to you anymore' sometimes it's a threat to take something of ours, others it's a threat to hit us. When we try to reel him back in and calmly explain how things work he will run away and yell over us. This is when the toy throwing starts and he gets placed in his room for 5-10 minutes of time out/cool down time. We recently implemented a rule that any toy he throws at us we throw away, because I'm not going to let him have something if he is going to use it to hurt us, and we tell him this every time he throws a toy.
By this time he's trying to kick his door down. (He has a half door/dutch? Door because he did not like it when his full door was closed, but we still needed a way to keep him in his room for time outs. Plus he would sneak out in the middle of the night to get all the sweets out of the pantry. He made him self very sick one morning by eating all the chocolate and candy in our pantry after Halloween. He's done this multiple times. His sneaking out even got his sister hurt once.) Anyway, at this point he just gets this dead look in his eye while he's kicking his door with literally all the strength he has. When we try to talk him down he will try to spit at us and continue to throw things and kick his door. During this whole thing we make sure not to yell or scream at all, whether it's tapping out and one parent takes over or we walk away for a couple minutes to let things settle a bit. We try to explain everything that's going on and why it's happening. Some nights he is extremely receptive and we head this whole ordeal off very fast. Other nights it's an hour to two hour ordeal. (Worth mentioning: He was always difficult to settle down, even as a baby. He'd have bouts of serious crying for an hour or two, even when we did everything we could think of to sooth him and then he'd settle down.)
These outbursts aren't always with video games. Sometimes it's with bed time. Sometimes it's with dinner and he's mad about his choices for dinner. Sometimes it's because he doesn't want to come inside from playing outside. It's a wild card every time. At first I thought it was what we were allowing him to watch. Ben 10, Pokemon, digimon, power rangers, Miraculous lady bug, Teen titans go etc. Because he'd act like the characters or even grab his Nerf gun and pretend to shoot us. When I cut all those shows out and made it to where he can only watch shows like Bluey and Blippi, the outbursts went from almost every night, to two times a week and he stopped pretending to shoot us or act like the characters.
He's also suddenly potty training regressing. I thought maybe it was FOMO because it always happens when he's playing. Family thinks it may be because his 3 y/o sister is still potty training and is half in diapers half in training undies. We've sort of fixed it by reminding him every 45 min to an hour to go sit on the potty for 5 min, but he'll try to pretend he did and just stand in the bathroom for 5 min, if we are unable to stand there and make sure he does. I've asked him why he doesn't like going potty like a big boy and he just says he doesn't want to, he'd rather play. When we try to explain to him that what he's doing could get him very sick and others sick, he doesn't seem to care. He's more focused on everything else. The light, my jewelry, the t.v noise in the background, what the dog is doing, etc, or getting back to playing.

I've tried having "Decompression time" for him when he gets home from school. I tell him he can take a shower by himself or have some quiet alone time to draw or look through a book, but he doesn't always want to do it and trying to get him to causes a temper tantrum, so I try to let him do it when he feels he needs to. I've set up a Strike and Reward system like at school, but it doesn't seem to be sticking (maybe I need to revamp it). I try to compromise "Hey buddy, I know you want x, but you gotta do x in order to get it. Sound doable?" Sometimes it works great, others it doesn't. We never invalidate him as I was CONSTANTLY and still am by my parents (who we are very LC with). We constantly say "I understand you're frustrated and upset and you are allowed to be, but what you're not allowed to do is treat people like (insert whatever he's doing)" I constantly tell him how he can properly communicate and express himself. That if he's that angry he can scream into his pillow, punch ONLY his pillow or hit ONLY his bed with his pillow. But he can't do those things to people, his toys, the house or animals (he's never hurt an animal, it's just preemptive).

We did live with my parents for 3 years. I do worry if exposure to that toxic environment caused any kind of trauma, as his sister is literally the exact opposite of him and was in that environment much less compared to him. My dad has major anger issues, he constantly yelled/screamed at my kids for just being kids and would spank my son.
(I unfortunately spanked him too, as at that time I thought it was acceptable given my upbringing and because my father would say that if I didn't discipline him he'd grow up to be those kids in and out of jail. But I completely stopped the moment we moved out as it caused horrible emotional episodes, that I later learned was PTSD, for me and I felt absolutely wrong every time I did do it and I do NOT and will not forgive myself as a mother for ever doing it in the first place. It does not and WILL NOT happen ever again. It was never okay to happen in the first place, he didn't deserve that.)
Every time my dad would yell, I would immediately put myself between them and yell back at him to not speak to my kids like that, which would turn into a fight between the two of us. We were trying to start gentle parenting and he didn't like it. Because we lived in his house it was "His rules" so he was allowed to discipline how he saw fit. I was not okay with that and me fighting this ultimately lead to us getting kicked out and hotel hopping till we were approved for a loan to get our home. We couldn't afford to hotel hop any more and went back to pack while we waited for things to go through with the house. I made sure to keep my father away from my kids when they were acting up as best as possible the whole time. My dad used to spank the shit out of me when I was a kid. I thought it was normal. I thought I deserved it. It wasn't until the beginning of this year that I started realizing it wasn't, when I got all my diagnosis' and the month of therapy I did. My dad never believed in Mental Illness, but believes he is a high functioning Sociopath like Sherlock Holmes. I'm doing everything I can to stop the cycle I went through. My kids will not grow up like I did. But I have no basis to compare to. I had more expected of me than I am expecting of my son. I grew up much different than I'm trying to set up for him. Because of this I have no idea if this is normal child anger or if I need to take him to a therapist to fix the bit of damage I started to cause but stopped.

I know this is a lot of info to dump all at once and I'm sorry. I want to make sure I'm giving as much of the picture as I can so I can get the right info to do better. I don't want my kids to deal with what I'm going through now. I'm constantly trying to find ways of doing things better than my parents did with me. I know that I fucked up, but I promise I'm constantly trying to do better. I listen to gentle parents on TikTok and much of their advice has helped. I look things up for help/better knowledge, I ask other friends who gentle parent their kids and take their advice. I have a friend who went to school to be a social worker and she will give me tips too. I even try to remember how I felt at this age and apply it to how my son may feel so I can approach it better. But given that this may be psychological this is the only place for advice I could think of. Is this normal and I'm just traumatized or do I need to seek a therapist for him? What do I do to help him till he's seen? Please help me.

@rsdar Just a dad here. I've found it useful to remember that my kids are "pandemic kids" in the sense that we just don't know what effects have happened yet. My youngest (5 yo.,male) has exhibited the same behavior you've described and like you, I drew a clear line to the behavior and the particular media he was consuming. I did the same thing; restricting access and time but one thing that stands out to me is when we started to explore his feelings. For example, when he's frustrated I encourage him to observe it and maybe it's just the act of stating, "I'm really mad!" or whatever, but it seems to have a pronounced effect! Lately, instead of me saying "wow that's really hurtful" it's changed to "wow, you are really mad and I know exactly what that's like". And my son has said some scary stuff...even as an adult I've seen myself trying to hide from difficult emotions and it's actually helping me too, to have whatever emotion is happening as it happens.
Life is tough and being human is hard and I really wish the violent imagery wasn't so readily available to our kids but goshdangit it sure is and I feel all I can do is just help him to moderate himself..
I am rambling but I want you to know that you are not alone and I feel that you are doing your best and that you really care.

@georgesblog We definitely make sure to acknowledge his feelings as mine were belittled and ignored a lot growing up and I remember how horrible it made me feel. He's starting to kind of get it. When he gets mad he'll sometimes make sure he's allowed to hit his pillow and I tell him yes, or he can run in a circle until that angry feeling in his chest goes away, but he can't hit people, animals, the home or throw things. I didn't think Pokemon, Digimon, Power Rangers and such would be this big of a problem/influence, as I've seen other kids his age watch it and seem fine. But now that I know better I'm heavily monitoring the things he sees. It's crazy how accessable things are now compared to when we were kids. It's almost scary. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It genuinely helped. Sometimes I'm very hard on myself. 🖤

@rsdar This must be a very difficult situation for you all, especially as you navigate healing from your own trauma and upbringing. From the context you’ve provided, I think it would be very helpful to keep your parents LC or NC and seek therapy for your self and for your family. You mentioned BPD, are you referring to Borderline or Bipolar? There are effective treatments for these like medications, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, EMDR etc. Stress is no joke and then spiraling thoughts can be so overwhelming. Seek community support and resources to start building a network of good role models and guidance that your parents didn’t provide. Family therapy will hopefully be a great step forward for your whole family, wishing you all much healing 💗

@ronnec1208 I have Borderline. I've been doing what I can to learn more about it to better navigate it. While many may not agree with it I do smoke to help and it's been such a major help in BPD and my PTSD, my episodes have significantly decreased since I started smoking. I also journal when I have the mental and emotional energy and it sometimes helps.
I did start therapy in June, but the therapist I was assigned ended up not doing the treatments I need like I was told she did, and I spent a month just doing talk therapy, which was not very helpful and caused more harm than good. I've been resting from that emotional issue it caused and hope to give it another go in the next month or so.
I've been doing my best to keep my parents LC while I heal and work through recovery mode. My husband has been super supportive, helpful, and patient in all this and also doing his own research in gentle parenting, BPD and PTSD to help aid me.
I'm definitely gonna sit down with my husband and talk about family therapy, I didn't think about how he may need it in all this too. Thank you so much for your input and understanding 🖤

@rsdar Hey there, I'm a social worker and I do therapy with children and families. I am of the (predictable for my field) opinion that you do not have to be experiencing extreme mental distress or severe disorders to benefit from therapy. Especially with your history of childhood trauma, seeing a children's and family therapist sounds like it would be a great help to you guys. It can help him with regulating and identifying his emotions. He's 6, so it's not unusual for kids of this age to not recognize the impact of their behaviors on others, they can't really "put themselves in someone else's shoes" quite yet. The behavior you describe (screaming inside the throat, physically lashing out until exhausted) indicates that he is having a lot of trouble regulating his emotions and is overwhelmed by them. I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with in addition to working through your own history of trauma and trying to improve your mental health.
That being said, you mentioned that this behavior is sudden and he had also been having more accidents. Could there be some inciting incident or specific time you can remember this starting? I don't want to alarm you because both of those things can be reactions to high but normal stress (especially considering being a child during the pandemic). However those can also be responses to acute stress or trauma, especially considering you said it was sudden. When did you move out from your parents house? If it is relatively recent, like within the last few months, I would not be surprised if he is acting out due to no longer experiencing physical punishment for doing things like this. When children are finally in a safe space is when we can see some behavioral issues come out as they work through what they have experienced. If they are provided with consistency, safety, and healthy boundaries they will recover in time, children are amazingly resilient.
If it has been some time since you've moved out I would examine any potential incidents that may have occurred soon before this behavior change. How is he adjusting to school? Is he spending time with adults (tutors, babysitters, relatives) or older children away from you guys? Again, while this may be and most likely is a normal reaction, particularly the bathroom issues can be a warning sign of sexual abuse. Have you had a discussion with him about how it is not ok for others to touch him in his private areas? And please emphasize that he will never ever get in trouble if he tells you that someone is making him uncomfortable or doing bad things to him, you will always love him no matter what and his safety is the most important thing. I recommend having this talk at a calm time for him, when he is not distracted and not tired, and reinforce over time that he will never get in trouble for telling you about anything like that and that you will always be on his side no matter what. Feel free to reach out to me privately if you have additional questions.
You are doing a great job and it is so clear how much you care for your kids. Take care of yourself and your mental health so you can take care of them too. I also completely agree with your psychiatrist on not diagnosing you with anything else until the PTSD is better controlled, ADHD and ASD in particular are often misdiagnosed when the real problem is trauma. Trauma can look like many many other things when what you are experiencing is a normal reaction to what you have gone through. You've got this! You're doing all the right things.

PS check out @mommacusses on tiktok, she is a really great example of healthy and realistic responsive parenting (gentle parenting is great but the tiktok community can sometimes shame parents a lot for not being perfect, and GP can sometimes lead to permissive parenting which is not great for kids either)

Edited to add disclaimer: I work at an intensive outpatient facility for kids most often referred by CPS or the schools, we tend to see a higher portion of abused children, including sexual abuse. My experience is therefore skewed, and potty regression can very often be a completely normal stress response. I just felt it needed to be mentioned as it is always better to talk about this with kids and keep open communication. No harm is done by talking about it appropriately with kids, much harm is done for encouraging an environment of silence around these issues.

@lpt We moved out in Oct 2020 and I will admit the environment of our home when we first moved was very stressful as we rushed in moving into the home and out of the toxic environment and had about a year of struggling to get our feet back under us financially. Both my husband and I were on edge and arguing intensely alot. I was working 3 jobs while also being a full time mom and getting the house unpacked. My husband works a labor intense job and is also in school and was when we moved in, while also renovating the home and helping unpack and clean, as the house was disgusting when we got it. My sleep was also practically nothing during that season. My dreams were violent and I always woke up with an anxiety attack so bad I'd throw up. It's all settled down considerably now, thankfully.

His outbursts kinda started when he started watching all those t.v shows we cut out and when he started school. I asked friends if their kids had that issue and they all said yes, it was just sensory overload from school, so that's when I started the decompression time if he needs it. I always check to make sure he's not being bullied or messed with by others at school, as I was badly bullied growing up as well and want to make sure he knows I'll protect him no matter what. I always reinforce that the only safe adults to see him naked is mommy, daddy and doctors only, and that it's not okay to keep secrets and if anyone ever says "Don't tell mommy/daddy" you immediately tell us cause they are not a safe adult. Anyone else isn't safe and he always nods and says "I know!" We've taught them both the correct wordage for their genitals and don't shame either of them for talking about them, just when it's an inappropriate time and we make sure to tell them now is not the place.

He sometimes spends time with other adults, like his babysitters that I trust (the list is not long at all), family when we go over or friends that come to our house. The only kids he really gets exposure to is his sister and the kids at school. Pre COVID I used to take him to an indoor playground regularly and he'd always find one or two kids to run around with or he was content being by himself with me in tow. But that place unfortunately shut down and there isn't another one close by. I'm hoping that changes soon, as he and his sister loved those places.

I try to remember that kids that age do struggle with empathy. That's another thing I had largely expected of me at such a young age, so I thought it wasn't normal that he seemed to not care. Having it further reinforced by a therapist is very comforting, honestly.

The potty regression started the second summer started and Kindergarten finished, he did have two or three accidents during the school year. He was more focused on playing than going potty. When I asked why he would always say "I just don't want to and the toilet paper breaks and makes a mess" we've since showed him a different way of wiping and always help him to reinforce it. He's gotten a little better, but we still have a few times where he'll just poop himself. We have other friends who said their kids had the same issue. I did as well as a kid. I would hold it so I wouldn't miss out and then caused myself to get really constipated. It one time caused an ER trip. I try to keep those in mind, but I still worry.

I've gotten some info from a friend who has a ped therapist for their autistic son and a therapist friend who specializes in ptsd, I'm waiting to hear back. 🤞

I've seen a few vids of Mommacusses. She's helped with my GP journey a lot. Any vid I come across that I think will help of any GP creator I bookmark it and keep it in mind or tweak it to fit my situation with my son.

Thank you so much for your input and advice. It was a huge help and comfort. 🖤 I always worry I'm not doing enough as a mother and really harp on myself, your words were much needed.

Oh and especially considering his temperament has always been fussy, he may be very emotionally sensitive leading to having a tougher time coping with these big feelings.

@rsdar I'm a licensed psychiatrist, I would recommend having your son evaluated by a child psychiatrist. It's not unusual for children to have anger outbursts, but if this is a sudden change in behavior, it's worth having him evaluated to rule out any underlying causes. If you suspect that he may have autism or other developmental disorders, a child psychiatrist can also help with that evaluation.

Back