St. Luke's Hospital in the Poconos took my best friend’s new born son due to prescribed medications being seen as drugs

lcsparacio

My best friend Mike and his wife Grace are both attorneys and parents. Mike shares his wealth of knowledge through tutoring students of all ages. While Grace is an licensed attorney and member in good standing with the PA Bar Assoc. Both are extremely caring and attentive parents. As well as, leaders of a family being groomed to give back to the community through numerous avenues.

Their newborn son was taken from them by the hospital because one of her prescribed medications, Vyvanse, gave a false positive for amphetamines. This drug is named on several leading prescription medication companies’ websites to cause amphetamine exposure. St. Lukes is refusing to speak with them or let them see their child.

Here is the youtube video they created to capture the situation:

Please share any information or strategies you may think of. The goal is to get Julian back with his parents and my great friends.

PLEASE LIKE AND SHARE!!

Michael O. Smith (More about them)

St. Luke's University Health Network #CBSNews #Abcnews #CNBC

@lcsparacio The second I got pregnant my obgyn told me to stop taking my adderall and even before I got pregnant my gp told me to stop taking it when pregnant. I also was only give my script after delivery because I assured them I was not breastfeeding. I find it insane a doc would just be okay with her taking that while pregnant.

@amoskaeg I also filled out more forms than I can count listing any meds I was taking at diff apps for my ob and the hospital. Even had to be specific about what prenatal and when

@tracieplaxton Same. Part of my check in paperwork every single appt was what I was taking and when (for me just a prenatal and then acetaminophen a handful of times after I sprained my ankle)

@lcsparacio This seems like a messy situation that I’m sorry your friend has to go through. However, Vyvanse is an amphetamine, so it’s going to have some pretty harsh effects, especially to a fetus/newborn.. just because it was created in a lab doesn’t mean the drug is safe. If mom was taking it, baby is addicted.

Interestingly I found This article https://www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/meds/treatingfortwo/features/keyfinding-ADHD-med-increase.html showing that more women are taking these medications while pregnant and it could be a cause for concern.

@llerrad11 Yeah now that baby is going to spend it’s first days withdrawing and possibly be affected for its rest of its life. Sad situation mother should have been more informed and the OBGYN held accountable.