Samantha Bee brings awareness to Endo and PCOS

@kristinagator This is great. If anyone is interested in endo or more broadly female pain and the medical community's response to it, there's a new book on this subject, Ask Me About My Uterus: A Quest to Make Doctors Believe in Women's Pain by Abby Norman. It's a bit more memoir than I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.

@kristinagator That's great! Honestly learning all I have about fertility in the past few months makes the feminist in me get all indignant. I was lucky that I didn't go on HBC because of anything wrong with my cycles and experienced no negative side effects on it and so far nothing off it either, but I know so many women who did and it makes me mad that they are treated so dismissively, and are told to mask the problem through HBC rather than actually address it. Or the attitude that pain (whether on or off the pill) is just part of being a woman, when no other kind of debilitating pain is treated that way. Or the idea that women can't be trusted to learn and manage their own cycles and so are given incomplete and wrong information about fertility and conception.

It's also nice to hear from someone who is not just super anti-pill and unscientifically suspicious of "unnatural" hormones, as it seems like 90% of those into promoting fertility awareness are. It reminds me of a thing I read for a sociology of science class in grad school about the guy who essentially fathered (pun intended) the "natural" women's childbirth and healthcare idea. His very memorable name was Dr. Dick-Read (seriously), and he thought that the pain of childbirth was all in women's heads and so it didn't need to be all medicalized. And that's the origin of the whole thing and I think there's still the attitude that if something is wrong with your reproductive system, it's your fault and you need to fix it instead of going to a doctor. So basically I feel like the medical establishment and the "natural" movement against it fail women. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant!

@kristinagator I have no idea what I want to do with my life, but perhaps this has inspired me 💡

Thanks for sharing! I would upvote this like ten more times if I could!

Back