Roxane Gay is unsuited to write a work column

@stonze Yikes - the social media one was one of the ones that bothered me the least.

What's with the one about the person who was seemingly offered a massive promotion after helping restructure their team? We don't live in an ideal world? No way I'm staying in that situation longer than it takes to find a raise elsewhere lol.

@katrina2017 Right?!? “Dig in your heels and refuse to post on Social Media!! But you didn’t get a raise for a substantial promotion?? Oh, well!”🤷🏻‍♀️

WTH kind of advice is that??

@katrina2017 Real answer is to write a letter/email asking for a raise in your own words (don’t trust your mgr to advocate for you). In this letter, quantify the change in your position, as well as any increased revenue or other benefit to the business.

You can even ask for a specific salary that you think would be fair and back it up with comps: a brief list of other current job listings with advertised salary ranges. Include attachments with their job descriptions so that they can read through and compare themselves if they’d like to.

Pass this along to your manager to share with higher-ups and HR again.

This shows them that you understand your worth, and are also seriously looking at the job market.

At the same time, rage-apply to see what other offers you can get.

@stonze Yeah her responses often feel flippant or dismissive to me. I really strongly prefer Ask A Manager, both because the answers are usually more thorough and because they are more empathetic. The include a lot more "in an ideal world X, but at someplace it is really Y" and it just feels more helpful

Back