Recurring spotting in LP from 7DPO onwards, feeling down

tay1964

TW: mention of living child.

Hi all, I’m TTC#2 and on cycle 5. I’ve been having LP spotting from about 7DPO and then AF finally comes around 13-14 DPO. I conceived #1 relatively fast and didn’t have this spotting. I’ve stopped nursing my toddler, I’ve started taking vit C, B and prenatal to try to prevent this, but it’s still happened. I’m really frustrated, I’m 37 so feel that time is running out :( any further suggestions please. I’m in the UK so don’t think I have the option of the medical checks , bloodwork you have in the USA.

The other thing may be relevant is that my LH surge is either v quick or not v strong as my OPK line is only just about as light as the control, sometimes not quite. Check my post history for examples.

Link to chart

@tay1964 I've got consistent spotting too, mine starts at 3-4 DPO and keeps going till AF. I'm in the UK as well.

The NHS has been trying to treat me for it, technically independently of infertility checks, although in my case I did mention I'm trying to conceive for the first time which I think nudged my GP to seek treatment and check everything's OK.

I was able to get an ultrasound and gynecology appointment in December, after 5-6 months of trying to conceive, where they found some ectopic cells on my cervix that can cause spotting with hormonal changes. Good news was that in my case they said it was totally harmless and wouldn't affect fertility, and they removed the cells.

So it's possible that in your case, something similar might be going on :)

Bad news is, it didn't help in my case, so for me it looks like the ectopic cells weren't the cause of the spotting, OR they weren't removed properly and are still causing bleeding... And as it's my first time TTC and and we've been trying for over a year now, I'm now booked in for blood tests etc.

BUT what I would advise you is to seek treatment for the spotting specifically. Frame it as that being a new issue you didn't have before, and that you're worried that a side effect has been that you haven't been able to conceive again yet. Rather than seeking treatment explicitly for infertility, if that makes sense. That way it's considered a separate medical issue and it might be easier to get treatment for it.

@puerazaelis Seconding this. I have in the past had treatment for spotting when I was not TTC, it was taken very seriously and I did get a full set of various blood tests, an ultrasound, a smear test. I had some vitamin deficiencies that came out of it and nothing more serious fortunately but raising it as I had a new symptom did result in full investigation.

@tay1964 Hello I'm from the UK and had secondary infertility. I was able to call my gp and he put me forward for basic blood tests. Please call and ask. The key one for you would be a progesterone test at 7dpo. This would confirm ovulation but also spotting mid luteal phase sounds like a low progesterone thing.

Another thing that can cause spotting is uterine polyps. Sometimes you can't see these on a scan and need a hysteroscopy. The NHS take mid cycle spotting very seriously and would offer you a hysteroscopy for free (I have had this on the NHS). They will check for polyps using a camera. Polyps can cause infertility (it did in my case) but usually the spotting is more mid cycle around ovulation which is why I think it may be the progesterone issue out of the 2.

This sounds very woo but I got a tea on Amazon called 'ladys mantle' tea. It's supposed to help with progesterone issues. You can take it from the day after ovulating until your period/ tail off if you get a bfp. Good luck!

@tay1964 I had spotting every cycle starting anywhere from 3-7dpo, for all 18 months that I charted. They started with a hormone panel, suspecting I might have low progesterone but included estrogen and some other things as well. All normal. Then I had a hysteroscopy and an ultrasound. All normal. After that they kind of threw their hands up and said, well you’re ovulating, nothing appears to be wrong, this is just your normal, it won’t stop you from getting pregnant. I found other stories of women online with the same spotting issues who did get pregnant despite the spotting too.

I’m in the US and I don’t know anything about getting these things checked in the UK but just to give you some insight into the process if you’re able to find somewhere to get care.

@tay1964 Hey! Is there a reason you think NHS does not provide services for infertility treatment? (I’m from a tiny European country and even we have most of the medical options that are available in the US.)
From what I’ve read luteal spotting usually indicates low progesterone or endometriosis but only a doctor can say for sure.

@tay1964 From the first few articles I had a glimpse on it seems that IVF is not compensated in the case of secondary infertility but I could not find anything about general testing for infertility. You might be having a problem that could be solved with medication (especially if it’s the progesterone) and might not need IVF.
And tests are definitely available in private labs (I’m not aware of the prices in the UK but in Lithuania a progesterone test costs anywhere from 10 to 15€, so probably double that).

@tay1964 You should ring your GP. The general NHS guidance is that women over 35 who are trying to conceive will not have to wait 1 year before getting a fertility referral. Also, they should be able to do the preliminary checks before referring you elsewhere. How quickly they get you in may depend on where you live, but it's worth asking considering the additional risks.

Back