Question regarding using FAM/condoms to prevent

I know this is a totally subjective question, but for those using a combination of FAM and condoms to prevent, how many days do you wait after confirmed ovulation before having unprotected sex? I read that you’re no longer fertile 2-3 days after O (and I think that’s what TCOYF recommended, but I could be mis-remembering).

Relevant backstory: I had my IUD removed a couple of weeks ago. I used OPKs to verify my LH surge, and I temp and track CM. I’m currently 3 DPO. We’ve been using condoms ever since the IUD removal, but we’d both love to not have to use them in the time post-O, pre-AF.

@dreamasamemory2002 You need to meet peak day +4 AND temp shift +3 to have confirmed ovulation and safely go UP. This is so that if you have 2 or so days of peak fluid and/or high temps but they do not either taper off to infertile fluid and/ or a sustained temp shift, you won't be risking pregnancy with a second (completed) surge a few days to a few weeks later. Peak is watery or EW, both are considered fertile, and the last day of either of these CFs is present would be P, and then you have to have 4 days following of creamy or sticky or none.

To follow TCOYF rules, you should be using a secondary measure until P+4 and T+3 have been met.
Technically, though, I don't think you're supposed to have unprotected sex at ALL in the first 3 cycles of charting.

@katrina2017 If you release two eggs, they will be released in the same 24-hour period, before enough progesterone has been released to prevent future ovulation. You treat additional fertile CM like you're fertile because you may have mistakenly marked ovulation when it hasn't occurred yet.

You need 3 days of confirmed high temps, or 4 days after your last fertile CM to be correctly applying FAM.

@dreamasamemory2002 I totally agree! I can be a bit neurotic so even though I know that an egg usually lives for only 24 hours, I’ll still wait like 4-5 days. Also because my husband is a hard sell as well for having sex anywhere close to O. He doesn’t really believe any stats because he’s so nervous about the possibility of misreading signs and false LH surges and such, which is understandable!

@dreamasamemory2002 It took me a few months to feel “safe” about the reliability of my opk + temp rises. I still wait three days just to make sure we have that confirmed O day (FF confirms with 3). Maybe see how repeatable your cycle is for another month and you’ll feel more confident!

@dreamasamemory2002 My husband and I have been using the FAM for over 2 years now and it’s worked really well. Because he’s catholic we can’t use condoms, but there hasn’t been a pregnancy yet! Yes, technically the egg is only viable for about 24 hours after ovulation, but since you can’t know what time of day ovulation actually happens I wait until 48 hours after my ovulation date just to be safe.

@dreamasamemory2002 Copper iud or hormonal? If hormonal, I believe it could take time for your cycle to return to normal, meaning you could ovulate at an unexpected time. I think 3 months is a safe amount of time to confirm your O date but that’s just my opinion!

Back