Question about the graco 4-in-1 bassinet/pack n play

eirenopoioi

So we have the graco 4-in-1 and the mattress pad it came with is exactly that, a pad, not really a mattress. Like the pad you get in elementary school for nap time, but bassinet size lol. When my baby starts to roll, should I switch to an actual mattress from graco? The pad isn’t breathable so that really worries me. We do have a waterproof mattress topper on it that is breathable and I shoved my face against it and I could breathe, where as with just the pad I obviously couldn’t. Looking for advice 😅

@eirenopoioi Nope, “breathable” is a marketing term and doesn’t mean anything in terms of the safety of the mattress. The pack and play mattress is definitely safe for sleep, on back or stomach. No toppers or extra mattresses!

@katrina2017 Thank you!! I took the sheet off and have the mattress topper on but I’ll take it off tomorrow. It’s super thin, you can basically see through the material so at the time I figured that was okay.

@eirenopoioi No, pack and plays are only safe sleep surfaces if you stick with the pad that they come with. If you add a mattress then the baby can become stuck between the mattress and the sides of the pack and play. Don't add anything to it. The lack of breathability isn't a problem, by the time they have enough strength to flip they also have enough strength to turn their heads.

@puddintain I didn’t mean add a mattress with the pad btt it get one from graco and replace it but thank you!! That was my thought about moving their heads but the anxiety part of my brain decided that that couldn’t be possible 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

@eirenopoioi When she starts to roll, it's really just best to move to a regular crib. If you're not ready to stop room sharing, setting up a sleep space in their room is best, but if you can't do that, just a regular pack n play (not the bassinet, the full size) can suffice until you feel comfortable moving baby to crib. The pad for a regular pnp isn't much better than the bassinet, but they have more space and that's really what they need most. Once babies start rolling around in their sleep, they travel all over.

Back