Potential to work part-time instead of full-time

patrickdenton

Cross posted on /workingmoms

Hi all! Before I returned from mat leave last year, I asked for 0.8 and was denied. Recently I asked for 0.5 and it’s being strongly considered. While waiting to hear back definitively, I’d love some tips from SAHP who have worked part-time in the past.

Relevant info: Desk job in higher ed, unionized. Requires a master’s degree. Difficult to find jobs in my profession. Two year old, may have another within the next two years. My partner works out of town for two weeks and is then home for two weeks (physically remote job so he’s not even home on weekends during his away period).
  1. Part-time would be 18 hours/week. How would you ideally divide this up?
  2. What did you love about part-time?
  3. What did you hate about part-time?
  4. Tips/tricks/best practices for being part-time
  5. I also have the option of being a SAHP. I have to admit a part of me wasn’t as excited as I thought I would be about the possibility of 0.5 because if it was between full-time and SAH I was going to SAH because it’s just too much with our current situation. It makes me nervous to make the jump from working mom to SAHM though (finances not contributing to that nervousness as much as returning to the workforce, potential for burnout at home, etc. Our household income would go from $325k to $240k.) What would you do given these options?
TIA! :) This community always give such great advice!

@patrickdenton I can’t do it rn with a toddler and baby. I need to be a full time sahm for my sanity. I really want to keep an orderly home and cook nice meals each night that that takes serious work. I also feel like I need to work out to maintain the energy to do it all. But in the future, I expect to try to do part time or even find a freelance career and work while they are in school.

@patrickdenton Part time for sure! I've been FT working mom, SAHM, and now a part time working mom. Part time has been the best balance for me. Work 3 days per week, talk to daycares ahead of time to see what schedule they can accommodate (many want MWF and won't do 3 consecutive days).

It sounds like it would be really hard to pick back up where you left off if you leave, that's a huge sacrifice. Might be worth it in some situations but if you can do part time that sounds like a great compromise.

@patrickdenton PT has been ideal for me. I get to keep my skills and resume fresh, use a different part of my brain, do something that "stays done."

Thanks to covid I'm fully remote which is nice, but if I had the option to go in 1 day per week I'd like the change in routine.

If it were me, I'd try to do 2 long days and just pay for childcare those 2 days. I also tried to do a lot of classes and activities when my kids were younger so I'd try to keep as many days open as possible for that stuff. Also if you're commuting that keeps your travel to 2 days per week instead of 3.

@patrickdenton I’m about to apply for a part time position but it’s only 2 days a week. Like you, we don’t need the money and I’m mainly doing it for my own well-being. I think any more than 2 days would put too much strain on us as we don’t have family nearby to help out and husband often travels for work.

@patrickdenton If my partner made $240k there’s no way I’d be working 😂 with that being said, I do work from home while taking care of my toddler, it’s essentially part time. I make it work because I have to. I try to leave any task that requires detail or meetings for when my husband is home. If that’s not possible then Raffi or Ms. Rachel works in a pinch. I’ve been doing it since my maternity leave ended. /r/momsworkingfromhome — that’s a great sub to read more experiences.

@patrickdenton I have done PT. I like it way better than full time. I really cherish work-life balance. I like cleaning my own house, cooking/shopping, and other home making tasks. If I worked full time I would 100% have a cleaner. My partner doesn’t have the same rigorous schedule yours has but we both value just hanging out at night which couldn’t happen if we were both working outside the home.

I would highly recommend that your toddler be in daycare more than you work. You don’t want to burn out especially since you solo parent a lot.

I did PT that I think benefits my career and I enjoyed. I quit because I am having #2 and that is my job. It sounds like your part time would keep you with a foot in the door.

@patrickdenton Part time has been the sweet spot for me. It does help that I can afford a nanny so my kid is still getting the really custom care I want for him but was too hard to provide as a full time stay at home mom. I'm a way better mom now that I work again. But I will never work full time again.

@patrickdenton So...I managed to find part time and it was hard, and I'm very happy..I make way less and bring home less than if I was full time and paid for daycare but I still make something.

I work three days a week, usually Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Nanny watches the baby then. I bill hourly so sometimes I work 18-25 hours a week depending on my workload. I love it. The two days when I don't work I take my 1.5 yo to the library and organize playdates, and do swimming, and spend time outside. It also gives me time to be productive and do what I like and not have a huge career gap.

Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity. Also it is sooo nice to have a steady care. It's harder to find care here and there if you need haircut, doctor etc. But it's easier when the care is established.

@patrickdenton I always thought part time sounded great until I did the math. 40% of my salary goes to taxes, and part time childcare costs nearly as much as full time care, so there wouldn’t be much money leftover. Id be working for fulfillment not money, but the stress of scheduling everything and being in both places at once (working mom and household manager) didn’t sound very fulfilling to me, just sounded needlessly stressful

@patrickdenton I am loving being a SAHM after baby 2. I was 0.6FTE before number 2 and it worked well. For us, having the extra income was great. I love being a SAHM and I will be for the next 8 months or so, but I know I'll be ready to work by then. I would agree with others who have suggested doing more daycare than you need. I was able to have quality time with my little one when I had him in daycare a bit more, because I could do all the homemaking tasks without him and cherish the time I did have with him.

@patrickdenton I am just on mat leave right now - so I will be back to full time. I'm 4 months into 18 months away from work. So a temporary SAHP - this is my third mat leave. I find that by the end of it, I am more then ready to return to work. Although its more stressful, i enjoy the structure working gives to my week. Its is honestly kind of feels like only guilt free time away from my kids... not working is not an option. I have to do it, and I get a coffee break and lunch with my peers. Other times away from my kids feel like a choice and a part of me is always like... I should probably bring one of them with me hahah but you cant do that for work. So its strangley freeing lol never thought I would see the day. But 5 days a week is a little too much- right now i am 4 days one week 5 days the next which isn't toooooo bad 3 days a week would be perfect.