Poo smell? Grovia O.N.E

anthlee

Hello! I recently purchased 2 Grovia O.N.E’s for nighttime use. They are working well so far, but after just one poo I can’t seem to get the smell out from the large soaker that you attach with a snap. It does say it has Polyester Microfiber. I’m pretty sure my wash routine works well because I have been cloth diapering for a few weeks now and nothing else smells or has stains. Granted everything else I use is cotton, hemp, or bamboo.

I really wanted to use these for night. But I can’t seem to get rid of the smell. It’s not very strong, but still. Should I just get rid of these? Or what else could I use as the soaker since it’s something you attach to the diaper. Thank you!! Any help is greatly appreciated.

@anthlee What is your wash routine? Were the diapers purchased new or secondhand?

Using cloth diapers for a few weeks isn’t typically long enough to know if your wash routine is sufficiently cleaning. My first was routine 5 years ago was horrible but I didn’t notice it failing until about 6 months in

@sophie0813 Hello! I do a pre wash on warm with original tide line 1 and then the longest wash my washer has with hot water and an extra rinse and I’ll do tide again line 3. I do this every 2 days. Nothing else smells or has stains, except this insert that has a bit of microfiber in it :/

@cees 😩I was using more detergent before and it seemed like the detergent wasn’t being rinsed off. I would pause the washer during the last rinse cycle and the water was still sudsy. Should I just use more detergent and do extra washes after with water only?

@anthlee I disagree with PP. Seems like a fine amount of detergent with Tide original powder

FWIW this is almost exactly the same as my wash routine and I use a ton of ONEs without issue. I don’t think it’s the hidden microfiber layer that’s an issue. IME it’s the microfiber inserts that come with cheapie pockets that hold onto smell.

However I do want to note that sometimes overnight diapers need rinsed before putting in the pail due to large concentration of urine. If you wash every other day then it’s probably not a huge deal but for someone like me who is lazy and washes every 5 days I will have issues if I don’t rinse the overnights

I’d just bleach soak this insert and move on if there are no other issues. If it happens again then reassess. Proper bleach soak is 1 tbsp standard bleach per 1 gallon of cold water. Soak 30-45 minutes. Wash on hot with detergent. Done.

@sophie0813 Thank you for this very detailed response. I haven’t been cloth diapering for super long, but this is the first time I feel like I have smell issues I can’t get rid of. I’ve had my husband and mom smell the insert and they say it doesn’t smell like anything, but I have a super nose lol and I can smell it. I will try the bleach soak on this insert and then reassess. Thank you!!

@anthlee Add vinegar to your fabric softener tray on the second wash- it should do the trick. Many misinformed people claim it damages diapers but I read an article from the cloth diapers for beginners lady explaining how it works and she says there’s no reason that it should damage the diaper. You just add it to the fabric softener tray to be sure it doesn’t release along with detergent or they basically cancel each other out and do nothing.

@ageofreason2014 Vinegar is an acid and eats away at rubber which is why it is not recommended with modern diapers — because of the effect on the elastic

Fine to use with non-elastic diapers like flats or inserts

@ageofreason2014 Thank you so much for the advice :) I will give this a try. I like the absorbency of this diaper, but the fact the smell is still there only on this particular insert is driving me crazy lol.

@anthlee You’re so welcome! I love Grovia and use their hybrid hook and loops for daycare and have SO MANY ONES that I bought for sleep times but my guy is nearly 2 and pees through everything so all of those beautiful ones are just sitting there unused. I keep trying to convince myself to sell them but I haven’t succeeded yet! 🫠

@ageofreason2014 Mine are only 5 months so they are working for nighttime, but I figure they won’t work for much longer 😭. But they are so nice and feel so soft! I don’t blame you for not wanting to get rid of them.

Back