Polarn O. Pyret snow gear sizing?

joywithay

I am currently shopping for snowsuit/pants/coats/gear for my toddler. We live in the US near the Canadian boarder so we get bitterly cold winters, and thus I am looking for very warm gear. I've read good things about Polarn O. Pyret (POP) and am searching second-hand sites for that brand. However, I've read that POP runs quite large. My kid is 12.5 months now. Is their sizing so oversized that I should be looking at 9-12 month snow suits/pants/coats to get him through this winter? Or should I go with their 1-1.5 year size? He is a tall (95%) but skinny kid.

Also, what about POP mitten sizing- does that also run large?

Finally, besides POP I've also seen Reima and MEC recommended for good very cold weather gear, but any other suggestions?

@joywithay Chiming in from Sweden, we buy a lot of Po.P gear. I’d go with the size 86 (12-18 MoS) if you only want him to wear it one season. You could probably also try a 92 (18-24 mos) if you want to squeeze two seasons out of it. My son wore the 12-18 month size last year, we bought it for him in September when he turned 12 months old.

Po.P does run large, but there is no reason to size down on snow gear for a tall child. The extra width will allow you to add more layers on cold days. It’s also ideal if the gear is slightly long so the ankles don’t ride up too much when they squat down (this is actually very important). I definitely would not buy a 9-12 month size for a tall child age 12.5 month. I’d probably try the 18-24 month size and hope they could wear it next year.

Mittens do not run large, although some of them are just shells. So, they may seem large but are actually meant for layering with, eg some knit polyester gloves or mittens.

Po.P is a great value. Way better design and more durable than high end North American brands like Patagonia. If you buy it used and some of the water proofing has worn off, you can just re-proof it using NikWax tech wash and water proofing.

@ife Thanks so much for this detailed reply- it was very helpful and I really appreciate it. I especially appreciate the tip about re-proofing secondhand Po.P gear with NikWax, as I did just buy a pair of snowpants secondhand. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

@joywithay What size does he wear in other brands? You can probably size down 1 size. My son is tall (99%) and skinny and could often wear his actual age size in their clothing. May also want to check if the clothing comes with snaps or foldable cuffs to adjust length.

I think the mittens are normal sized but I’ve only every bought the stretchy kind.

@bible_follower Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. He currently wears 12-18 month size in other brands (Primary, Carters, etc) but he tends to grow out of pants (height-wise, not waist-wise) before he reaches the end of the size range. So, I'd expect him to be in 18-24 month pants by the time he's around 16 months (in February, which will still be peak winter time here). Good point on the snaps/cuffs for adjustability- I'll check that the pieces I'm looking at have those. If so, I think I'll go with his actual age size just to be safe. Thanks again.

@joywithay We’re a Swedish/Australian family and I buy most of my kids clothes in Sweden. My kids are very tall and in Aus I buy at least one size up (sometimes two) but in Swedish brands they are to size including POP.

I think you’d be okay buying to size though As most are adjustable

@joywithay My kids are small for their age, so we buy the size by age then wear them an extra year (for example we bought my daughter a bunch of 9-12 month POP gear around her first birthday and she wore it for two winters). Same with the rain gear. Its really great gear, we've bought many pieces both new and used (on Kidizen). My younger child is now wearing the same gear, so we're getting tons of use and it holds up well.

@opova Oh, that's a good thought about buying his current POP size and then seeing if he can squeeze into it next year as well. Thanks! And glad to hear their gear has held up well for you.

@joywithay Anyone here bought into their adult collection? 😅 I’ve heard some 10-12 stuff can fit petite adults but I haven’t seen any forums about this as of yet :(

Back