Peak v High LH (or do I have to press my sick husband into service tonight)

black_square

I am using the cheap easy @home OPK sticks. I started using the premom app for the first time this month so the high/peak difference is new to me.

Monday - 8:45 pm, High LH (0.58) per app’s reading. Prior to app, I wouldn’t have thought this was high. BD’ed that night.

Tuesday - 10 am and 8 pm OPK are both high, really high in evening (1.1ish) I thought it was peak. BD’ed that evening despite husband’s cold.

Wednesday - 2pm dye-stealer on the OPK (1.51) this seems to actually be my peak. Husband pretty sick - no BD.

Today - 4pm, OPK positive - app says High (0.61) - though definitely much lighter than Tuesday/Wednesday.

I have started Temp tracking but I’m a newbie so not reliable yet. This morning’s temp was higher than any other temp in the last 12 days.

Have I ovulated or not? The whole continued high OPK is confusing to me. Does ovulation generally occur as the LH is in the downswing or once it’s actually back to low?

More importantly, would you BD a priority today or tomorrow? Esp given that husband is sick 😷 and coughing up a storm!

@black_square If you have had a temp rise it is likely that you have ovulated. Can't be sure until the next few days to see if the temp shift is persistent.

Don't read too much into premoms rating of high and peak. There is only positive and negative with opks.

You have pretty good bd timing so I wouldn't force hubby into it if hes sick. Good luck for the tww !!

This post is super useful regarding ovulation tjming and lh

@black_square Premom's readings are just trying to do what your eyes do, but your eyes do it better - trust your own judgment of what is positive and negative. The numbers make it feel more objective, but it's not.

Most women ovulate within two days of the first positive OPK, not necessarily the darkest. Your temp rises and stays up after ovulation until a period, and is just as reliable the first time doing it as any other! It sounds like you probably ovulated yesterday. If that's the case, the egg is likely already gone (they only live 12-24 hours, and sperm takes 7-10 hours after ejaculation to be capable of penetrating it), so sex now is unlikely to matter (but you had great timing with hitting O-1 and O-2, probably the single two best days). However, it's not certain that your temp will stay up, so it would be a good policy to fit one more time in today if you can in case ovulation hasn't actually happened and your temp turns out to be a fluke.

@black_square I'm going to second not putting weight into premom's high/peak ratings. I really only care about whether it's positive or it's not, and I try to identify patterns (i.e. I get two days of positive OPKs, and I consistently O on the second day). Beyond that, I don't know that it's worth it to put much thought into high vs peak. From what I have read in this sub, O occurs 12-48 hours after the first positive.

Thanks all. I let the husband rest up. But then my temp dipped a bit this am so I’m not sure what is going on ovulation wise. That said, we’ll just be more on top of things next month hopefully!