Parents: Are any of you part of D.A.R.E.?

amamames

I'm working on an article for Romper on its history and how its changed over the years, and I'd love to ask parents involved with the program a couple questions.

@amamames DARE is seen as such a joke because of its history, that I wouldn't get involved with it even if it was worthwhile now. I'll teach my daughter about how humans use drugs in age appropriate ways as she grows.

@amamames Dare showed kids drugs they had never previously been exposed to and sometimes told them how cheaply they could be found. Drugs education doesn't really work when denying the reality of healthy uses or doubling down on the legal/illegal distinction rather than with a more frank all-inclusive and informative preaentation.

@richardjuarez1234 Here is an article about why D.A.R.E. not only fails but often led to an increase in use.

By 5th grade everything I knew about drugs I learned in D.A.R.E. It wasn't just drugs were bad, it was what they looked like, how they were used, how they made you feel.

The only real thing D.A.R.E. taught me was to buy weed from someone I know and to smoke at home when my mom was gone. No one will catch when you're home alone.

@katrina2017 Quite honestly, I was in middle school when it happened, but from what I recall he had married a second woman in another town about 30 mins away. No idea how he managed it. It really sucked because he seemed like a pretty cool guy, and he graduated with my mom, so he'd been in town for his whole life, if not most. I'm pretty sure his in-town wife kicked his ass to the curb and divorced him, and he definitely got stripped of his badge. Beyond that, no clue.

@amamames No. Didn't work for me at all. It always depicted the person of dealing you drugs as some shady back alley dealer. In reality, it's your best friend offering.

Teach your kids self worth, excellent morals, and hiw to stand up to those morals under peer pressure.

Edit autocorrect