pack n play safe sleep?

crossbearer007

I'm wondering if a pack n play (with nothing else in it besides what it comes with) is considered safe sleep? My 11lb preemie just started rolling so (I didn't realize this) we need to transition her out of her bassinet. I don't feel ready for her to sleep in her own room and our house is small, so I think the best option would be the pack n play in our room, away from the bed so nothing falls into it. Everything I've read says that it's safe as long as you don't add blankets, pillows, etc to it. I was curious if anyone else heard otherwise? Thank you!

@crossbearer007 In the US, a PNP (called a playard in the manual) is a safe sleep space. They can’t legally be sold here as a “playard” unless they’ve been designed to conform to safe sleep standards and passed all the sleep safety tests. This shows the table of contents for all the requirements, just to give you an idea of what all goes into designing them and testing them for sleep safety. https://www.astm.org/f0406-19.html

Not all countries have safety standards or tests for PNPs or playards to be sold as safe sleep spaces, so if you live in another country, the ones sold on your market may not have been designed or tested for sleep. You’ll need to check with your country’s health authority and/or consumer product safety authority to find out.

But, all the ones sold on the US market are, so long as the manual calls it a playard. You can also check for the ASTM standard - might be on the label, or you can email the manufacturer to ask. HTH

@crossbearer007 So I looked into this in depth a few weeks ago. Depends where you are (which boggles me) but USA - seems like yes pack n play are considered safe sleep. Canada however changed their criteria or something a few years ago so now they are not unless the companies resubmit for certain approvals etc and sounds like some companies are saying F it and not bothering submitting it. So my friend (I'm in Canada) had a safe sleep pack n play bought three years ago and now it's apparently not safe. So...yeah.
The two I found in Canada that are considered safe is the Phil+Ted travel cot and the silver cross travel crib.

Hope that helps.

Edit to add: you're also only supposed to use the mattress it came with. And a fitted sheet.

@jalopy That's a relief, then! We're planning to use it instead of a crib, and we're currently using the bassinet. I will say that the rocking legs on the bassinet instantly allowed our newborn to roll over and seem very unsafe for that reason, but they're optional and it seems fine otherwise.

@ihadavision That’s awesome! We’re going to get one to travel once they’re too big for the bassinet. They’re in a standard crib right now. We had a rocking stand for the Moses basket and I think it was small enough so only the newborn curl was happening. I’d imagine if the rocking motion allowed a kumquat to flip over prematurely that’d be concerning.

@jalopy It was super concerning, and I realized the only way it wouldn't happen is if she's dead center and completely motionless lol. That being said, the non-bassinet version is nice and you can crawl in there with them because it's on the floor and has that side door.

@alexhunting Yeah we have a pnp and it specifically says it's not to be used for sleeping as is. But it has a hanging bassinet insert that can be used until they are of a certain age/weight/mobility.

@crossbearer007 Travel costs/ pack n plays should be made to safe sleep standards however never add any extra mattresses as this is how kids have died in them. (suffocation and entrapment)

Keep them clear of extra padding etc and set them up per their manufacturer recommendations and you shouldn't have any issues if you buy one that was made to safe sleep standards in your country :)

Back