Overwhelmed and frustrated with all these onesies! (x-post /r/BabyBumps)

sarahsparks

So I'm going thru all the baby clothing I received at my shower. I'm trying to determine what I have, what I need to return, and what I'm missing.

One of the problems is that I seem to have no less than 27 onesies sized 0-3 months! ...At least I think so. It's hard to tell because Carter's only puts a single number on their clothes. Is their 6 mo. the same as another brand's 3-6 or is it 6-9? (I even have one set that is labelled 6mo inside but is tagged 9mo.) And don't even get me started on the "one sized" sleep sacks. Surely, there is a certain sized baby that will fit in there-- the arms seem pretty small.
  • Does anyone have any insights on how Carter's sizes compare to brands like Gerber and Circo?
  • How many onesies, sleep 'n plays, etc should I have for any given size? I keep seeing sooo many different numbers out there.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.

@sarahsparks Gerber's runs very small.

I guess how many you need depends on how obsessive you are about changing the baby, and how often you do laundry. Personally I'm not going to put my daughter through the torture of having her clothes changed because I dribbled milk on her sleeve... some parents might. Once Baby becomes mobile/starts on solids (6 months) you need a few extra articles of clothing, because while I will ignore a few drops of milk... half a smushed banana is gonna have to come off ;)

@sarahsparks Carter's is good for long and skinny babies. Gymboree is wider and shorter in the crotch. Circo is wider than Carter's. Carter's from Carter's is different sizing than Carter's from Target and Carter's from Walmart. Walmart and Target Carter's fit my long and skinny baby in pjs better than Carter's store pjs. We also had way too many onesies because my baby didn't need to be changed often until solids started.

I would group them affording to size. If you find your baby outgrows in length before you get enough use, there are crotch extenders to buy or make.

@sarahsparks I found my son fit into carters clothes longer than the other brands (he's long and chunky). I did group them by size compared to each other and not by the size on the tag - gerber ran the smallest, if I remember correctly. I believe that a 6-9 month will be the same as a 9 month, and 3-6 as a 6, and so on.

On a side note - If you plan on cloth diapering, you may find onesies to be a pain. I switched to cloth at 5 months and quit using my onesies except for carters brand (they were the stretchiest). The rest wouldn't fit right or would wick moisture from the sides of the diaper.

@stan_garone Excellent. I was worrying about the added fluff of cloth diapers but didn't even think about the wicking aspect!

I'm trying to have a lot of side-snap long- and short-sleeved shirts in at least newborn and 0-3 sizes and legwarmers on-hand to pair with the cloth diapers.

@sarahsparks I've got a 6 week old in cloth right now and I've cut the crotch out of many onesies. And the side snap kimono tops are the best, but my 8# baby is now 12# and the 0-3 gerber no longer fit. Just some real baby perspective.

@stan_garone My son at 2 months is really long and skinny. We also use cloth and I prefer the onesies for him because the other shirts just ride up all the time. I haven't had the wicking issue but sometimes the onesie will b stretched. I think it depends on what shape your baby is and how trim your diapers are.

@sarahsparks Circo 0-3 month fits the same as Carter's 3 month onesies on my daughter. The Carter's newborn fit her until she was around 8lbs. She is 9lbs, 14 oz and 23 inches long right now and the 3 month Carter's for great.
Now as far as the # you need or want, think about how often you want to do laundry. We use 1, sometimes 2 onesies a day. I only do laundry once a week. We have around 20, but that's because I was gifted a bunch of them and they are too cute not to wear!
Also, we use long sleeve onesies and a sleep sack for her to sleep in. It gets too hot here for the sleepers! I usually let her wear the same thing to bed 2 or 3 nights in a row unless there is an accident.

@sarahsparks My baby wears anything from size 0-3 to size 6-9 months. I just find one that fits and hold each onesie up to it to determine what size it really is. I've found that I needed a lot more 6 months than 0-3 months. (I have a 3 month old)

@sarahsparks Just to throw another option in, if you ever get anything from babyGap they run huge. My LO basically lives in Carter's, but when we get the occasional babyGap we almost always size down.

Back