Overhead Coworkers B*tching About My Pump Sessions

I work in an open air office block with 7 other people, so when it’s time to pump I take my laptop and go into a private office.

I used to pump every three hours, but recently increased to every four or five hours. Because of this, it sometimes takes me a little bit longer to pump. Today my left breast was overachieving, so it took 45 minutes for me to finish pumping.

That afternoon I was minding my business when I walked to the back and overheard two of my coworkers quietly complaining about how long it took for me to pump this morning. Mind you, I bring my laptop with me to work while I pump. Not to mention, my productivity, or lack thereof has no effect on their workload.

I was so embarrassed by the situation that I could not bring myself to pump this afternoon.

Now I am engorged and ashamed.

@sierra98loveretail Call them on their shit. It’s not shameful, they’re just little bitches that need to be reported to HR for creating a hostile work environment that can affect your health

@canyor I think exactly what you said about "hostile work environment" captures it perfectly. OP is being discriminated against due to her family status, which is therefore impacting her mental and physical health. There's also an opportunity here for a teaching moment - I've worked in really young companies where most employees had no clue what it meant to be a working parent, let alone a working breastfeeding mother. Calling these people "in" versus calling them "out" may lead to more positive outcomes.

@majid500 Yes! When I was pumping, I consciously talked about it to normalize it. If I had to cut out halfway through an all-afternoon meeting? I'd just stand up, and say, "Gotta go make some milk! See you in thirty." My pumping times were sacred, and with supportive bosses, I felt comfortable normalizing it for the younger and childless crowd. :)

@canyor Right. They can bitch all they want, will they pay for her antibiotics when she gets mastitis? Will they pay for formula when she dries up? NOPE. So OP, report them to HR and get your milk out! Bc wait until they find out she can legally have the baby brought to her at work. They’d start a riot that she got 45 minutes to nurse her baby while working.

@warriorforchrist94 Yes yes yes. 100% yes. In the US. PUMP act legally requires employers (not small businesses) to supply a private room shielded from others to express breast milk. A baby at the breast is no different than a pump!

@sierra98loveretail “I’m sorry I’m multitasking working while providing food for my child because we live in a country that is one of the few who does not believe a mother should take care of her young child. I didn’t realize my private business affected you in any way. How may I be more considerate in the future?”

Back