Overfed

vespin

Hi! Has anyone experienced overfeeding? We went to the doctor today for certain symptoms, and we were told she is most likely being overfed & to change the nipple size. She was on size 1 nipple and was eating 5 oz. She did always seem to be uncomfortable with a lot of gas, bloating, and gagging. Never experienced spit up, though. Since we’ve been home from the doctor, she had a 3 oz bottle which is what they told us to start with. She was hungry before the 2 hour mark, so I up’d it to 3.5 oz. She’s still acting like she’s hungry. Does it take time to adjust to being fed less amounts? I don’t want to starve her, but don’t wanna overfeed at the same time.

@carrilynn OP mentioned they saw the pediatrician for some symptoms. As mentioned by another commenter, acid reflux can lead babies to overeat trying to find soothing and cause more troublesome symptoms. I don’t think you’re wrong in general but since we don’t know what exactly is going on here, I wouldn’t discount what the pediatrician said if I were OP.

@vespin I’d definitely switch nipple sizes if she’s struggling to eat. My guy clicks on the wrong nipple size and I’ve noticed a direct correlation to spit up/excessive gas when trying to up a nip size.

For the over feeding thing, I was always told you can’t really over feed a baby. If you’re not intentionally over feeding and stopping when the baby is content then you’re fine. Personally, we fed our baby until he was happy. If he’s still crying after eating then we offered more. He does have reflux which makes it tricky bc eating soothes the pain so he’d keep going but he would get to a spot where he’d cry for a moment and then become content.

@cheesuslover69 Clicking means their tongue is breaking the seal it has on the nipple. Excessive clicking causes the baby to swallow more air = more gas/burping/spit up. It can indicate a shallow latch. For us, feeding was a struggle and LO constantly clicked on the bottle. We worked with a feeding therapist and tried a few other nipples but she clicked on all of them. She had an anterior tongue tie, pediatric dentist revised it and the clicking resolved pretty much immediately. All of our collic/gas symptoms cleared up once she got used to being able to have full range of motion with her tongue (maybe a week or so). I never knew that was what the clicking meant but it made so much sense in hindsight.

@nevermindkid Can you expand on the clicking comment you made? Our LO starting clicking when we stepped up to size 2. Now he’s fussing at size 2, is distracted and taking forever to finish and I was wondering if we should step up again. Wondering if the clicking may be indicated something else.

@vespin My reflux babies would over eat bc sucking and swallowing helped them feel better and not in pain. However when they did that it made it 100 times worse of course.

I mean I'm pro feed your kid. Especially a newborn who's growing a ton. But if she's uncomfortable I might feed smaller but more frequently and see if that helps.

@dykema17 Yeah eating pushes the reflux down, both od my reflux babies did this a looot. We didn't want to use a binky but had to eventually bc the sucking helped and stopped them from over eating.

Yeah meds. We did formula change for my first with meds. My second we got him on meds and switched to Enfamil AR.

We tried smaller feeds and all of that as well. Keeping them upright for 15 minutes or so after every feed too. But it didn't really make much of a difference.

Back