No more cribs (2.5 y/o twin boys)

nyjujubeez

Today our twin sons learned how to climb out of their crib beds. We knew this was on the horizon, but didn’t think it was happening this summer.

We decided it was probably safest if we just disassembled the cribs and placed the mattresses on the floor until we figure out how to approach this. This was pretty abrupt, and with their lack of confinement, all they wanted to do was run in circles and play with each other. There was no calming them down, whatsoever.

I ended up having to lay next to one of my boys while he kicked, screamed, and resisted. I did my best to assure him he was going to be fine and that he just needed to remain calm, but it almost seemed like he was working himself up so much that he was having difficulty breathing.

I finally got him to drink some water and that seemed to calm him down, enough to get him to stay in bed and fall asleep. At this point I laid down with his brother (who was far less resistant, but still wanting to play), and just comforted him until he began to doze off.

Advice on how to approach this? Surely we are not the first twin parents to experience this. My wife and I appreciate any help. Especially since we are currently in the process of sleep training our 5 month old! 😵‍💫

@nyjujubeez Do the cribs convert to toddler beds? Most do and that set up is safe for kids once they climb out, but still resembles enough of their past set up that the transition isn’t bad.

Unfortunately, the first few weeks of the transition was pretty unsettled for us. Lots of redirection and mostly missed naps. Bedtime was a bit better, but still rough. Eventually the freedom lost its appeal.

What kept us sane was making the room completely toddler proof and we removed pretty much all furniture except their dresser that is tethered to a wall and a small bookcase, also tethered. All toys were removed except the stuffed animals they slept with. They slowly earned a few other toys back over time. We also allowed them to sleep wherever. On the floor by the door? Cool. Curled in a ball behind their bed but still safe? Sure. Fighting with them to stay in bed didn’t really work. It was more “it’s quiet time and sleep time, not play time”.

@matt97 Agreed. Our boys are only 22mo, but have already started climbing out. Honestly our first line of defense is sleep blankets, which they wear backwards because they learned to undo them. But for us it bought us at least a few more months where they aren't as adept at climbing anymore with the extra padding and restriction to their legs being so wide apart. It isn't a perfect solution, but it's a buy on time before the bigger transition. We learned with our oldest that safe trumps traditional sleeping arrangements. Once freedom (sans any toys or opportunities of mischief) loses its shine, they'll regulate into a new rhythm where sleep prevails more often than not. Good luck!!!

@nyjujubeez We transitioned to toddler beds a few months ago. Wasn’t actually the hellscape that I’d imagined. We spoke a lot about big boy and big girl beds and they really did well at staying put. When they did get up, I’d walk them back to bed, not really interacting with the one who got up, but making sure I praised the one who’d stayed in bed.

This went brilliantly for a month or two. Then we got a kitten. The twins terrorise the poor cat all day so around 1am he decides to get his own back. Cue lots of excited little giggles as the kitten tries to get their toes or sits at the bedroom door wailing incessantly. I have barely slept in my own bed since. My job is now running interference!