My colleague likes to comment on my pumping. He doesn’t know I’m going to be his boss starting in October

luvgodforever

I started working back in the office 2 days x week after Labor Day when my parental leave ended. It’s my first time working consistently in office since March 2020. My daughter is 4 months old so I’m pumping 3x per work day. I hate pumping so much, but I bring my laptop with me and sit there doing work while I’m in the pump room. This is baby #3 so it’s not a big deal anymore for me. But it is a disruption.

My colleague, Thad, works down the hall from me and I need to pass him on the way to the pump room. I always bring my backpack with me when I go pumping for, you know, reasons. Every time I come back, he loudly says “I thought you left for the day!” And I generally reply “No, not yet” since I don’t really want to talk to him about this. It just makes an unpleasant task a little worse.

I’ve been doing this for a few weeks now. You’d think he’d either figure it out or stop commenting. But I think it’s coming from a place of trying to make me look bad.

He was my boss when I came to this company. I was his only report as they tried to make him a manager. He was so bad at it that he was promoted (yep!) out of management and I ended up with the position. He’s never been happy about it or respectful of me.

Next week, he’s going to find out that he reports to me now since we’re doing a reorg. I bet the comments end then.

Edit: your comments are bringing me so much joy! Thank you!

@luvgodforever “Hey, Thad, you seem to take note every time I walk by with my backpack on. I just want to clarify that I’m not leaving the building; I have to go pump. That’s what’s in the bag. Just thought I’d clarify this because you seem alarmed every day.”

☺️ I love making things awkward especially with nosy men…so don’t mind my confrontational suggestion lol

@vhialemon “I’M JUST ON MY WAY TO LACTATE FROM MY BREASTS, THAD. I NEED TO COLLECT THE MILK FROM MY NIPPLES. I AM GOING TO USE A MACHINE TO SUCK THE MILK FROM MY BOOBS.”

@midlifecrisisgirl When I came back from my mat leave and asked HR where the pumping room was, the lady glared at me and said “do you mean the nursing mother’s room ?” Like, I apologize with my whole heart for the great offense. Now I want to call it the milking parlor in front of her to see if she dies of shock.

@deliverusfromevolution We all just call it the “boob room” where I work lol It’s essentially a locked supply room with a curtain over the window and an comfortable chair. No table to eat lunch from even. I lasted 7 months of highly stressful pumping (9mo total) in that room before I finally had to call it quits for my mental wellbeing. “Boob Room”always made me laugh though.

@vhialemon Yes this. Please say something OP! If you don't make your boundaries clear, he won't respect them. It could even get worse after you're his manager.

Back