My baby won’t sleep and I’m at the end of my rope

pz128

My baby simply won’t sleep for more then 45 minutes in her crib. I’m so tired. I’m at the point of feeling frustrated with the situation. It’s been months. I take care of baby on my own all night and all day, maybe on the weekend her dad will take her for a couple hours.

I’m just so tired. I feel like I’ve tried everything. I did almost 2 hours sitting next to her crib hoping for her to fall asleep, only for her to start crying. I gave in and nursed her to sleep, so she will be up in about 30 minutes.

I can’t keep on like this. She won’t co sleep at all (just won’t go to sleep) and even if I hold her she’s up every 45 minutes.

Im actually considering CIO out of absolute desperation. I truly do not believe in CIO. I feel selfish for even thinking it. I feel like my options are CIO or drink coffee and stay up all night. Im scared I’ll fall asleep holding her if I keep this up.

@pz128 Look it wasn’t a great time for either of us, but our daughter wouldn’t sleep more than 45 mins at a time from 4-9 months and my husband did most of the night work because he said I needed more sleep than he did (recovering from childbirth and continuing breastfeeding). That meant at the worst that he got 1 hour of sleep one night before a 16 hour day including travel for work.

12 hour days isn’t an excuse. Looking after your child is work. Why are you working 24 hours a day and he’s only working 12?

@euthymios Idk. That’s a weird take for me. I would much rather be tired than my husband risk his literal life at work. If he would doze off on his job, it could very easily cost his life. Or if he would fall asleep on his commute that’s not only putting his life in danger but everyone else on the road as well.

My husband has taken baby for a few hours so I could nap, and he has gotten up with me over night specially in those early months when I had to pump bc baby couldn’t latch yet, but I never in a million years would expect him to sacrifice all of his sleep and still work a demanding job full time.

@joeyfish That’s why I said that was the absolute worst day, and as he was on an airplane (not as a pilot), I don’t think that road users were in too much danger. We had a baby who barely slept for 5 months. I’d have been dead if we didn’t share the load.

My husband and I both have highly demanding careers where we’re in charge of large teams of people with all the moving parts that work like that entails and we both agree that looking after our daughter is the more demanding gig.

@euthymios I’m sorry but I disagree with this. At 4 months you’re no longer recovering from childbirth, and especially at 9 months. To expect your husband to work 16 hours on 1 hour of sleep is unbelievable.

My husband needs to be rested for safety reasons at his job. I’d much rather be exhausted but know he will make it home safe.

@pz128 Hi, first I want to say that what you're going through is so so difficult. You're exhausted and frustrated and trying to figure out what is best and feeling guilty for considering sleep training but also probably for not sleep training and feeling frustrated (I'm projecting my own experience here). My baby is 16 months and I still do all night wakings because it's usually quicker to get baby back to sleep if I do it. So I fully support that decision if it works best for your family.
Also, I want to point out that research suggests post partum lasts at least six months and up to a year, even the American pregnancy association states this on their website, though the ongoing changes are less obvious by this time. So, if you're thinking you should be able to do this because you're recovered fully, you may be missing some pieces of information. And to expect either of you to function on one hour of sleep isn't fair to either of you.

I am again projecting my own experience. Has baby been checked for illness? We're still dealing with multiple night wakings and a m attributing it to the fact that my kid has recurring ear infections and is constantly congested. He doesn't show any signs of an ear infection other than disrupted sleep. He's having his adenoids removed next month which I'm hoping will reduce his difficulty sleeping if he's more comfortable and can breathe better.

@pz128 I’m so sorry that you’ve been brought up in a society that expects you to be recovered from childbirth immediately. As someone who almost died in childbirth and had a long, complex surgery to save my life the day my daughter was born, my road to recovery continued until she was nearly a year old and I am pleased to be married to someone who honoured my need for recovery and understood that sleep is necessary for milk production as a breastfeeding mum.

I’m not saying that your husband has to do all the work. I am saying that if you are crying out for help like this on the internet that your spouse should be stepping up. Wishing you the best.

@pz128 Hey mama. It’s ok to refuse to nurse to sleep every 45 minutes for a 6 month old. We had some similar challenges (admittedly not quite as bad). Your baby can learn a new way and your instincts are right that it will include some crying. I would not go straight to crying alone in her crib (although you may end up deciding to do a little bit of that eventually). I also think she is still young for that so I would personally offer comfort in between feeds to start.

I started by feeding every 3 hours for a concentrated full feed (about 10-12 minutes on each side). It’s important to start this 3 hour gap with the period before the bed time feed, to make sure she is hungry enough to get really full. So if bedtime feed is 7:30, last nurse before that at 4:30 at the latest. Obviously offer solids dinner in between - something with protein like hummus or puréed beans will keep her the most full (carbs good too).

Then overnight when it has been less than 3 hours, offer comfort and connection literally any other way. The goal eventually is for her to fall back asleep laying on a flat surface with less and less help (shh-ing, singing, patting, back rubbing) from you. But that could take a week or two. Start by picking up and rocking, walking, etc if needed. If dad is willing to help even just for the first 3 hours till 10:30 pm, that can sometimes be effective (or another family member like one of your moms…someone who can’t nurse). Personally we had ended up co-sleeping since she would never sleep through the transfer to the crib and because she woke so often wanting to nurse. So I did this part laying together with her on a floor bed, and then would roll away when she fell asleep instead of staying with her (but come back when she woke). I laid on my tummy next to her so she could not nurse or see my breasts.

It’s important that your nervous system stays calm and regulated so she can co-regulate with you. Your nonverbal energy should say — and you can say this stuff out loud too — “I know, baby. I know it’s hard to learn to fall asleep in a new way. I’m here with you, you aren’t alone, you can learn it. I know you are frustrated I won’t nurse you. It’s not time for nursing, it’s time for sleeping. Let’s sleep now and you can nurse a little later.”

Once she can consistently fall asleep on a flat surface (floor bed or crib) with your support, slowly pull back your support until you are just physically present. Once she can fall asleep on a flat surface in silence without patting or rubbing, then and only then would I ask her to do so alone in the room without you there (ie CIO). If you do this I strongly encourage you to read The Happy Sleeper, which is written by two licensed therapists. Their framework has you going in every 5 minutes, never longer.

And still feeding every 3 hours (or whenever she wakes up after 3 hours). Keep her awake during the feed to make sure she gets a full feed of 10-12 minutes on each side, so that you can be confident she won’t be hungry for another 3 hours. Also if she wakes up at, say 2.5 hours and fusses for at least 5 minutes I would just go ahead and feed. The process of night weaning for calories/hunger is a whole separate thing from trying to help her learn to connect sleep cycles without nursing.

Attachment parenting doesn’t mean never setting a boundary. It means setting them in a loving and gentle way while staying emotionally connected, attuned, present and co-regulating. Those boundaries can include how often you nurse, and also eventually where and how she sleeps.

You are doing great and you NEED to sleep longer stretches for your mental and physical health. If co-sleeping wasn’t working (it didn’t for us!), it’s ok, even GOOD, to help her learn to fall asleep without nursing every 45 minutes!!

It’s not black and white. After doing this my baby sleeps most nights the whole night in her crib and wakes up 1-2x to feed. 1-2 nights a week she is really struggling and I bring her to bed with me (and she nurses every 60-90 minutes and I get a horrible night of sleep…but I feel better because I know she CAN and does regularly go 7 hours alone in her crib so I know that on those nights she genuinely needs more comfort and support).

@pz128 Good luck!! The first night we did it was the first night she rolled onto her tummy to sleep, and I learned that she likes her back scratched harder than I would have expected and for lullabies to be sung slowly in a breathy whisper. I had become dependent on nursing her to sleep too!

I also wanted to clarify - I think it’s fine if the baby nurses to sleep as long as it’s a full feed and not much longer. (And at least 3 hours since last feed.)

@neostarwcc I’m not OP but thank you for taking the time to share your experience in a detailed way. I’m taking some of your advice too (night weaning my 12 month old). It means a lot to those of us who are lost in a sleepless fog and struggling to find gentle and supportive methods and only come across CIO methods.

@neostarwcc I just want to thank you, I decided to implement this last night and it went surprisingly well! The previous 2 nights she was nursing all night and I got no sleep. On a good night she's up every 1-2 hours. Last night we went to bed at 7:30, I rocked her to sleep a few times, she ate at 10:30, and I rocked her to sleep again. And then she slept! I fed her again at 2 and 5, and in between I didn't have to get up at all, she woke a few times but went back to sleep with just pats and only a few tears. I expected to be up all night rocking her. You've given me hope lol.

@pz128 Obviously we don’t have enough info here to know what is going on. In general, I would say waking every 45min is a red flag though, especially if it’s been going on for months and not just a week when they are sick or teething.

Some red flags to examine:

-food sensitivities/allergies

-open mouth breathing, snoring or gasping

-reflux

-hungry, not feeding enough

I’d start there! For daytime sleep, 45min at a time is reasonable at this age.

@ashleynicoleyoung2016 Her schedule is:

7 am wake up
10-11:30 nap
2:30-4 nap
7 or 7:30 bedtime

We were doing 3 naps a day but it was pushing bedtime really late and she was really fighting that last nap so we made the switch to 2 naps, and it really improved her daytime sleep but hasn’t made a difference for nighttime sleep unfortunately

Back