My 1 y/o is in the hospital with meningitis

misslindabeaz

UPDATE
They have been treating him for meningitis since he came in because they didnt want to risk anything and it seemed like a viral infection. However they found meningococcal bacteria in his blood sample today and tomorrow we will know if the bacteria did in fact enter his spinal cord and or brain. So far hes holding up well under the antibiotics they have him on. When we know more we will know if he needs to be on other antibiotics. Me, his dad and older brother were also given antibiotics as it is contagious.

For additional info about the spots, ill write down some specifics underneath the original post

Ive always been the anxious and paranoid mom whenever my kids are sick. Whenever their temperature shot up i ran to get a glass to look for Red dots i couldnt get to fade because im terrified of things like meningitis because it can become deadly so quickly. This time he had those spots. I didnt have any other reason to assume he has meningitis. Just the spots i found because im paranoid. I went to the doctor assuming i was overreacting as he only had a fever and a few spots but it was a whirlwind of doctors and urgent care from that point. Ending up in a room where hes on my chest hooked to a lot of wires and tubes, antibiotics and just underwent a lumbar punction. It feels like i called for this as this is always my first thought (fear). It also confirms my tendency to be as paranoid and anxious as i am and i am also weirdly grateful for my anxiety and tendency to research everything and thankful for the knowledge that i apparantly store. But i wish i was just sent home, the doctor thinking i was being paranoid again and overbearing and my son being happy and healthy besides from maybe some chicken pox or whatever else could be innocent Red dots.

Additional info:
-Yes he is fully vaccinated and got the vaccine against meningococcal A, C, W and Y about 2 months ago.

-The dots were as big as a needle prick and bright red and when i pressed a clear glass against them they didnt disappear. They were and are in random places all over his body and i could count about 5 when i left the GP's office.

-He was completely fine and doing great when i put him to bed around 8 and woke up screaming with 41 temp around 3 at night. At this point there were no dots visible yet.

-i could count 5 spots around 9 in the morning and he had over 15 in a span of 4 hours. Thats when he was put on antibiotics.

-The red dots appeared together with larger red spots that did disappear when pressed. These looked more like the beginning of chicken pox. So even if your LO has spots that do dissapear, the petechiae (small red dots, danger dots) can still be present throughout! Check the whole body!!

-the dots were not raised, neither were the other seemingly innocent red dots that appeared alongside.

-he hasnt shown any muscle stiffness, neck stiffness or issues besides the red spots and high fever. These were my only indication of meningitis or meningococcal although later in the hospital when he wanted to walk a little i did notice his balance was off too which is something you probably wont notice when your child is so sick that it will only lie on top of you.

-he usually has a strong immune system and is generally happy and smiling through any previous illnesses he has had and has always recovered quickly from any colds or even covid (has had this twice).

-his older brother of 3 years old is not showing any symptoms but did have the same cold last week before my youngest got his high temp. We do keep checking him for spots around 3 times a day.

@misslindabeaz Oh I’m so sorry! That’s so scary, but it sounds like you were really on top of it and didn’t take any chances and got him really early care! What are they saying right now?

@jewels77 They started him on antibiotics. They seem to work as his fever is down a little finally. They ruled out a bacterial meningitis infection (which is great as its the most dangerous one) but his infection stats do indicate it is bacterial so either he has something bacterial and a viral meningitis infection or a bacterial infection somewhere else that causes issues in his bloodstream because of the red dots.

@misslindabeaz Just to give an expiencense of another anxious mum who's son had viral meningitis at 2m old and again at 4m old.

I was always hyper vigilant about fevers and rash and on the day I took him to my local ED I almost let my nan convince me it wasn't that serious. He had fever, was larathagic and had reduced feeds but no rash at that time. My anxiety was screaming at me something was seriously wrong so we took him to Ed fully expecting me to be over reacting and he just had a minor visua or cold...in the 10min it took us to drive to ED the full body rash broke out on him, I went from the car to the ED reception into a room with peads and nurses in the space of 10m minutes because they were worried it was bacterial. IV line having to go from his forehead because his wrists were not accessible due to how dehydrated he was. They started him an antibiotics via the IV while running the test to see if was bacterial and setting us up to be transferred to the children hospital.

We spent a week in the childrens hospital before being discharged. He had 3 lumpar punctures, he'd scans, EKG or ECG one of the two. And iv antibiotics for the majority of his stay. It was caused by Entro visual, a very common virus that causes the cold/hand foot and mouth but it managed to travel into his spinal fluid.

But after a week we were home, no long lasting effects it seemed.

It happened again at 4ms old basically the same, but this time drs slightly more concerned as it's so rare to get it twice, let alone from the same virus again. He did expirence seizures this time but after 8 days was discharged on anti seizure meds till he was 1 year old.

He's now 5 years old, no long lasting side effects, not on meds and meet all his development goals. They still don't know why he got it twice as we had his immune system tested and that was fine.

Take each day as it comes mum and try n get some sleep and take care of yourself, he doesn't remember any of it but I do and I still remember his screams of the lumbar punctures or the IV placement but then I look at home now and he's my foot forward son who seems to not be afraid of anything these days.

@misslindabeaz That’s good then - bacterial is really the worse one. If his fever is down too that’s a really good sign. You got him care quickly so that will help a lot too.

@misslindabeaz Your vigilance saved his life. The knowledge you had saved his life. I know it’s a terrible burden to always be looking for the worst things in constantly, but this time it helped you take care of your little one and get the care he needed.

I wish him a speedy recovery. This mom is proud of you for knowing when to act and how to advocate for your child.

@misslindabeaz I’m so sorry you’re dealing with that! Good job getting him checked out asap. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Can you explain what you mean about getting a glass to look for red dots? I’ve never heard of that, but I’d like to notice as quickly as you did if that ever happened to my kiddos!

@misslindabeaz This is meant to align and not compare; I had absolutely horrible anxiety about my son when he was born. We were planning his Baptsim for when he was 4 months old and a month before when I bought his outfit I saw one that was also meant for an infants burial.

My son turned 3 months old in the hospital due to PLE - he threw up and shit everything he had in him and lost 2 pounds at barely 3 months. I was neurotic and insane but after that hospital visit (we were in for 8 days) I trusted my gut completely and even got a little flippant. Our little guy ended up on a breathing tube a month ago due to bronchitis and we had another 4 day stay.

You are strong. This part SUCKS but you are with professionals and YOU FOLLOWED YOUR GUT. I know you wanted to be turned away but thank GOD you weren’t and you were taken seriously. Your little guy will be okay.

This part sucks. Get a blow up mattress and your own pillow. The hospital couch/bed sucks. And take the nurses up on their offers to get you water. You don’t need to be strong for anyone but your little man.

If you need anything I’m happy to be a person to talk to. I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

@misslindabeaz I hope your little one recovers quickly.

My son had a high temp suddenly one night at around 3 months, it wasn't possible to calm him with boob and couldn't get calpol in so called Dr line for advice thinking they'd just reassure (was mainly asking if I could try calpol a 2nd time as he'd spat it out) and they asked about the spots. We noticed ONE single little dot on his leg and they sent an ambulance within minutes, paramedics said it was nothing but they always take babies to hospital with such a high temp so we had to go. Within an hour most of his body had the purpura spots (the ones that don't disappear when pressed) and the same massive routine of IV antibiotics, lumbar puncture, anti viral etc ensued....it was terrifying- and even more so when I also became ill with a v high fever (while at the hospital) and my SO also a few hours later - we were all in hospital as patients at the same time.

Was horrible - thankfully catching it early and getting all the meds in does make all the difference I think. Ours ended up being a "meningococcal infection but not meningitis" (not sure what the difference is!).

Wishing you and your LO all the best.

@tonyj88 That must have been horrible! Being sick whilst your small baby is a patient as well, traumatic and horrible. Im glad you all got better. And also a good thing you called them. Getting here early does make a difference and im glad i got him here when i did ♥️

@deborahl5255 Think it was around 39.5C but also bear in mind how young he was (3 months). By 8 months I'd be less worried about that by itself but not being able to calm him no matter what was a red flag for sure. Now we know exactly what to look for on the spots but the main thing is spots that don't disappear when pressed through a transparent glass (there was a big campaign here in the UK and lots of information about what to look for - best search term would be sepsis symptoms in babies and toddlers or something).

Something felt "wrong" enough for us to call for advice and, now I have three children mostly through the baby stage, that feeling of something feeling really wrong is really an important one to watch out for when they are ill. You might doubt yourself if it's your first child but if you think something is definitely wrong with your baby always get checked out (and say those words "something doesnt feel right, I'm worried about my baby" - paediatricians also look out for that parental sense too, especially in infections.

@tonyj88 As to the difference, meningococcal infection is when the meningococcal bacteria is present and multiplying in your body, making you Ill, while meningitis is specifically inflammation of the meninges/ meningeal grooves around your brain, which is often caused by bacterial infections, but can also be caused by other things, like viral infections.