Mini pill

luvtherain

Hi guys! I’m currently taking the mini pill and u usually take it at 6:30pm but today I was out and forgot to take it until 9:15pm! This is barley covering the 3 hour limit am I still covered or does it count as a missed pill? Thank you!

@luvtherain The mini pill is a bit more forgiving than the combo pill when it comes to timing. Generally, you're good as long as you take it within 3 hours of your usual time. So, technically, you're still in the clear! Just make sure to stick to your regular schedule from now on to keep that protection going strong. But if you're ever unsure or have concerns, it's always a good idea to chat with your healthcare provider, just to be safe.

@layla8540 It’s actually the opposite. The combo pill is more forgiving than the mini pill. The mini pill only has the 3 hour window but the combo pill has a 12 hour window.

@erikallan It’s 12 hours until it’s considered “missed”. Typically if you catch up by taking two the next day you remain protected though and your protection usually only truly lapses if you miss two pills in a row.

ETA: not “missed”, rather “late”.

@jameslog Every info I can find says it’s 24 hours for combination pill. Less than 24 hours it’s just late but not considered a missed pill.

”For missed combination oral
contraceptive pills:

If you missed 1 hormonal pill (by 24–48 hours) or if you are simply late taking 1 pill (for less than 24 hours), you should:

Take the late or missed pill as soon as possible.

Continue taking the remaining pills at the usual time (even if it means taking two pills on the same day).

No additional contraceptive protection
needed.

Emergency contraception is not usually needed but can be considered if hormonal pills were missed earlier in the cycle or in the last week
of the previous cycle. If you missed 2 or more consecutive hormonal

https://health.cornell.edu/sites/health/files/pdf-library/missed-birth-control-pill.pdf

”What counts as a late pill?

That depends on the type, too. If you take combination birth control pills, a pill that’s taken more than 24 hours after your last pill is considered late.”

”Combination pill

As long as you’ve been consistent otherwise, you should still be protected if you’re late by 24 to 48 hours. Take your next pill ASAP, and continue taking your pills as usual.”

https://www.healthline.com/health/b...-pill-from-the-usual-time#what-counts-as-late

”A pill has been missed when it is more than 24 hours since the time you should have taken it.”

https://uhs.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu1651/files/docs/Birth Control Pill Factsheet_a.pdf

@erikallan Great! Some brands still state 12 hours until a pill is considered late though and it’s a common thing stated on this sub. I guess instead of missed in my previous comment, it’s considered late after 12 hours. This also depends heavily on which pill the user is taking late.

Regardless that wasn’t the initial point of my comment as I was more so saying that the combo pill is more forgiving, not the mini pill.

Back