Maternity & Bonding Entitlements in NY & NJ

basiloil143

Hi! Writing this on behalf of my friend who is experiencing a bit of confusion when it comes to navigating maternity/bonding entitlements in NY/NJ.

My friend is a 29 y/o female residing with her fiance (will not be married by the time the baby is born) in a home they purchased together in August in NJ. Prior to that, they rented an apartment in the Jersey City area and commuted to Manhattan for work. Both still have their same Manhattan jobs (in digital marketing and finance) and plan to keep them.

My friend is 32 weeks pregnant and is beginning to work with her HR to plan her maternity leave, which she intends to start the first week of December. In their most recent meeting, her HR rep also stated she is eligible for bonding time, but is capped at what she may receive financially. The capped weekly number is significantly lower than what my friend is making as of now and it is causing her distress to imagine taking on the same mortgage, car, and day to day expenses, in addition to new, possibly unforeseen ones as they begin their journey as a family of three. Because she lives in New Jersey, is she eligible for any of the state entitlements or benefits for new mothers that are home providing care for their newborn? From what I’m seeing, many of the assistance programs, such as Family Leave Insurance (FLI) and Temporary Disbaility Insurance (TDI), are geared toward individuals who are employed in NJ, with a lesser focus on state of residence. Is it possible that she is eligible for these entitlements despite working in New York, because she resides (and pays taxes in) New Jersey? Happy to hear all thoughts and suggestions! Please feel free to ask questions - I’m hoping someone in this lovely group can help my friend gain additional insight into what is available to her during this exciting, but overwhelming time. Thank you!

Back