Kyte Annual Sale

The Kyte Annual Sale starts tomorrow. But before you buy anything you should know this company DOES NOT support its employees with proper parental leave.

One of their former employees is reporting that after years of infertility, she and her husband adopted a baby who required a NICU stay. She hasn't been with the company for a year so she was not eligible for FMLA nor did she have much PTO. She was initially given 2 weeks time off, then she was told she was not going to get 2 weeks off, and even though she could do her job remotely she would not be permitted to do so. She wasn't going to leave her baby in the NICU so she and Kyte severed their relationship.

The story has been going around TikTok, and their CEO has made two apologies on TikToK, but hasn't made the rounds on IG. However Kyte Baby did lock down all their IG comments, probably to stop people from talking about it ahead of their sale.

Before anyone says, "This isn't abnormal, this is my company policy as well." Yes. It is common, however it is TERRIBLE policy for everyone. None of us should stand for such awful leave policies. But we especially shouldnt tolerate it from companies like Kyte Baby, who touts itself as an organization that supports parents.

Here's a reel that covers what happened:
ETA: Because I am not one who likes to complain without offering a solution and I don't like cancel culture this is what I would like to see happen. Kyte Baby should publish their parental leave policies and show how they, as a company, support parents. The parent community should ask the same of other high-end independent baby brands; looking at Little Sleepies, Halo, Lou Lou Lollipop, Nuna, UppaBaby, Mockingbird etc. With this information we can decide where we want to spend our money.

I'm 11mo PP and I'm still angry that I had to take unpaid leave to recover, bond, and generally to be with my baby. I want to see change!

@christie_navarro1414 If you read the founders interviews it’s even worse.. all about how she loves the flexibility she has to take care of and spend time with her kids due to owning her own business, she picks up her youngest at 1:30pm every day, spends lots of time with them etc. When you know about the employees situation it’s like rubbing salt in the wound.

I just dm’d them on IG:

“Hi there! I have bought several Kyte items for my baby and now toddler and loved them. The news that your company does not have supportive policies for parents and babies surrounding leave is astounding to me. I know the US is broken on so many levels and that parental leave legislation is absolutely needed, but I expect companies that purport to address babies and parents most basic needs MUST have a parental leave policy that all employees can access, regardless of start date, type of birth, gender, etc. Please publish your policy in response to these allegations or indicate a willingness to radically improve your leave policy. Until then I cannot purchase your products for myself or for expecting friends. Thank you. “

@clintjohnson The only way to make companies like these change for the better is if it affects their profits and make them know why! More people should do this.

@christie_navarro1414 That’s insane. My company would let me work remote from the nicu at least part time if not full. But in return, the amount of effort I’d give, loyalty and appreciation would be unmatched. Good luck coming back from that one Kyte

Back