Is it too late to try a K’tan?

paul1234

Okay so, I was looking at the super pretty looking Baby K’tan Original Wrap on Amazon just now.. and actually ordered it a few minutes ago. I’ve heard good things. But now that I’m looking around more on here I’m worried it won’t feel good whatsoever with my baby weighing too much (~17 lbs) and being 5 months old. He’s also a very tall & lean baby (I think 99% percentile just for height his whole life so far).

Anyway:
  • LOVE how the tie-dye Baby K’tan looks. I do care how it looks.
  • I also own and like my Sakura Bloom but I don’t feel mentally confident outside of my house in it and I feel like the K’tan would event be more comfortable. And I just don’t want to wear the ring sling even with advice lol.
  • I want a cute comfy thin wrap, do not want a structured carrier. I have a LILLEbaby Complete All Seasons, it’s just way too bulky for my taste. I want to be flexible.
  • I do not want bulk or clips or buttons or ties or adjustments often or at all if possible.
  • Don’t need to breastfeed in it.
    -I just need to be able to be not uncomfortable for like 1-3 hour trips. Like shopping or walking around a small get together outside or idk something like a petting zoo.
  • I am 5’3 125 lbs.
  • Baby is ~17 lbs. 5 months old, tall as hell, lean, great neck control tho & likes to stretch and make his legs straight oof. Also I don’t think he cares which way he has to face but probably likes to see everything outward.
Can I use the K’tan anyways? At least for a few months? Or is there something better for me?

Thank you for any help & responses!!

@paul1234 I loved my K'tan but found it unusable after about 15 lb, except maybe in a real pinch for up to 30 min max, usually with soreness afterwards. This is normal for a stretchy wrap, it's very common for a Moby/boba/K'tan stretch material wrap to get uncomfortable after about 15 lbs, they are geared for newborns.

Stretchy fabric is just not meant for heavy loads, so it's really not ideal for heavier or older babies. With my first I might have used it up to about 6 months, which was stretching it. Then switched to a ring sling and SSC for longer wearing times and more support.

I do see people from time to time here say they used it for longer times or heavier babies, so your mileage may vary. But I'd say the average user would find it uncomfortable for longer wearing times.

@paul1234 I bought a Happy Baby OG when my baby was around that weight.

Honestly, it will be hard to make a Baby K'tan work over 15lbs. I think I got some use until about 17 or 18lbs, but I made it longer than my (much more fit) husband.