HSG rising 6 weeks post-D&C

conexa

Hello r/TryingForABaby,

I'm (36/f) hoping someone can shed some light on a situation I'm going through. I've searched through the subreddit and read everyone's thoughtful and sometimes painful posts. I couldn't find something that matched pretty closely to my situation and would love to access the wisdom of the hivemind.

After trying for about 10 months, I unfortunately lost a pregnancy at about 9 or 10 weeks in early January and had a D and C. I was devastated and the recovery was much worse than I was led to believe, I may have been unlucky. I had a blood test two weeks after and my hcg was 1421, I had a transvaginal ultra sound and everything looked clear. So I moved on with my life and got busy with other things for a few weeks, my pregnancy tests are almost negative at this point, becoming real squinters.

Low and behold I get a positive pregnancy test and get my hopes up that I am one of those unicorns who got pregnant 2 weeks after their D and C and drive myself insane reading stories about just that on Reddit and everywhere else. I go back to the doctor and we test my HCG levels, now about 6/7 weeks from the D and C. Over 3 48 hour intervals, my HCG is 132, 138 and 142.

Based on these results, it's either a non-viable new pregnancy or a RPOC (retained product of conception or trophoblastic cells). This freaks me out as I read a bit about Gestational trophoblastic disease.

The doctor says I have 3 options:

Do nothing, keep monitoring and see if it comes down. Doing nothing stresses me out after reading about Gestational trophoblastic disease. May need to end up doing the below options anyways and waste more time)

Get Methotrexate to kill the cells. I have to pause trying for 3 months.

Get another D and C. Also pause trying, recovery really sucked for me.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and has any wisdom for me. I'm terrified at the prospect of not trying for 3 months then waiting 10 more months to have a positive, losing it and having another 6 months of recovery.

If you got this far, thank you for reading. It feels pretty cleansing to just have it all out there. I've added as many terms as possible so others can hopefully find this in future.

@conexa I had a 9-10 week loss in November and it was absolutely devastating. I’m so sorry you experienced that. My D&C recovery was also much harder than I was told to expect and I ended up with a uterine infection. I don’t have any advice but wanted to commiserate with you and let you know you’re not alone and you’re strong as heck going through all of this.

@conexa I feel like they should give you another ultrasound to confirm, because it could be leftover or a new pregnancy. Not to sound alarm bells, but ectopic pregnancies can be higher after surgery and ectopics notoriously have low HCGz They may see some fluid or something. I had a similar ish situation where HCG was sitting around there and nothing was happening.

Luckily for me everything finally started to resolve with another big bleed, and after my HCG had gone down to like 27, and then 0 after a few weeks of staying in the 100s-200s and raising and lowering randomly. So personally I would just continue to get betas and monitor, and just be ready to go to hospital if you start seeing any ectopic symptoms.

@conexa Well, I have no wisdom but will share my similar experience. I’m 38 years old, and found out I was pregnant on November 29th, 2023. After a lot of bleeding and diagnosis of subchorionic hematoma and probably blighted ovum, I was waiting it out when I started to miscarry at 7 weeks gestation. Unfortunately, an added layer is I woke up miscarrying and with a fever and chills, quickly became septic, had an emergency D&C on Christmas Eve and was hospitalized for about 5 days with bacteremia.

I saw my OB two weeks later, US was clear. 4 weeks from D&C, I presented to my OB with concerns of persistently positive urine tests. She said hang tight, it can take up to 6 weeks. 6 weeks came and went, my period started around 7 weeks post miscarriage, so on day 3 of my cycle, I saw my RE to start fertility workup (just being cautious after two mis and the horrific sepsis nightmare) and they did a beta HCG which was 10. That was a Monday. On Friday they repeated HCG and it went up to 17!!! So back to the OB I went…they saw some vascular tissue on US and scheduled me for a second D&C. HCG was 17, then 21 the day before the D&C. One week AFTER my second D&C, my HCG is 23. My urine tests are still faintly positive. I’m 10 days post D&C and basically have been a basket case.

So I’m in the same boat. Both pathology’s were negative. Second was negative for RPOC and just showed benign cervical tissue and endometritis (inflammation).

So is it some weird cancer? Terrified of GTD. It wasn’t molar so that leaves PSTT and endothelial trophoblast, super rare???
Is my body really taking more than 10 weeks to clear this out?!
Is it a heterotropic pregnancy?
I just got married in October 2023, my husband and I just bought a house and all we wanted was a baby. Instead I’ve been worrying every second of every day that I have cancer and I’m going to die.