How serious is Group B Strep in Pregnancy

davidtonyo

I was reading tonight that:

The UK says group B strep is common in men and women (like 25% of population), can usually be found in the vagina, urinary tract, throat, or rectum, and CAN be transmitted through common ways that infections are shared through direct contact, such as holding hands, kissing, or sex.

The US, however, says it’s not an std and websites vary about whether it can be contracted through sex. BUT it says you can NOT pass it to another person through direct contact otherwise and that it is not known how it is transferred other than at birth.

It is also hard to cure and most people live with it forever but it emerges when immune system is compromised, such as with diseases or age. Then, you are likely to get sepsis and be untreatable. SMH.

Macrobid, which I was prescribed after having Group B Strep once in the 1st trimester and now again in the 3rd, ONLY treats lower urinary infections so will do nothing for group b strep if it’s invasive throughout the body and will make it more likely to reoccur colonized in the urinary tract.

The recommended treatments are penicillin by IV or erythromycin. Erythromycin, however, is generally thought to be safe to take during pregnancy AND given in the first trimester (when group B strep is usually first tested for) has been associated with an increased chance of birth defects including specifically PYLORIC STENOSIS (which my last daughter had surgery for as an infant, and I was told was extremely rare).

I can’t remember if I had this in my last pregnancy but I think I’m starting to remember my doctor saying it’s a natural part of stomach flora in many people and will just need an IV treatment. I may have even been treated for a uti early on and not yet told about the strep like with my OB this time during the 1st trimester.

SO my questions are:
1. Since I’ve tested positive for group b strep in the first trimester and now again after being treated, might it be more widespread rather than just a UTI colonized problem. Macrobid specifically targets the lower urinary tract so is it likely to advance or recolonize if not treated more broadly?
2. Will penicillin given through IV completely kill the virus in my body during delivery.
3. Should I avoid sex bc, though it’s not an std, research shows it can be transmitted through sexual activity?
4. If the IV doesn’t kill the virus from my body, will I need to be careful not to kiss the baby, etc. after birth?
5. If it lives on in my body, is it likely to cause sepsis as I age and become more immunocompromised?
6. If we don’t fully treat it before birth, how likely will it affect the baby?
7. Should we do a follow up test to see if treatment was effective after completing the round of Macrobid?

Any informed insight please!

@davidtonyo Not sure I’ll get through to all your questions but GBS is a naturally occurring bacteria found in the vaginal canal. If you weren’t pregnant, no one would blink an eye about it. The problem comes down to the baby passing through this bacteria that is not normal for them yet (bc nothing is yet- little virgin babies). They can contract the bacteria during birth. It is a rare occurrence, but what is not rare is that their tiny little immune systems cannot handle it and they will end up in NICU with a GBS sepsis, getting multiple antibiotics. However! The penicillin you will get during labor “protects” them from contracting this bacteria on their way out. You will get PCN every 4 hours until you give birth, preferably they wait until you are in actually rip roaring labor so you don’t get too many doses. Either way I would take some probiotics beforehand to counteract the downsides of any antibiotic. Once the baby is out- we go back to not caring at all that you have GBS, as it it again a normal bacteria for YOU- just not a brand new baby. If you test positive for it in early pregnancy- there really is no point testing later in pregnancy because you are considered positive if it shows up in your urine (higher colony count). Again - this doesn’t make the treatment during labor any leas effective - you just get to skip the vaginal/rectal swab everyone else gets at 36 weeks.
In summary: GBS is not dangerous to you- but it is a new bacteria to a brand new baby that they cannot handle so we are protecting them as they enter this brand new world.

Back