Hi! I'm looking for help\recommendations for a replacement for my son's sensory toy! Any help appreciated!

jesussoldier

So my son has autism and he absolutely loves his 'playdough' and it gets him through a lot of meltdowns and helps him sit through online classes. The problem is his 'playdough' is the wax that comes on Babybel cheeses! So it's hard to come by and not the best idea for longer play because it came from a refrigerated product. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get this waxy substance? It can be shaped just like playdough (but actually a little bit more resilient) but it doesn't dry out or drop pieces all over and it stays fairly clean. Any help would be G R E A T L Y appreciated!!

@jesussoldier according to the Babybel FAQ, it is a blend of paraffin and micro-crystalline waxes. Not sure what kind of micro-crystalline waxes.

Paraffin wax is pretty easy to come by. It's the micro-crystalline wax that is more difficult to come by.

@jesussoldier Maybe try contacting the company that makes babybel and ask them if you can have some/what it is/how to make? Long shot but big companies like doing good things like that for PR points.

You could buy the wax that goes into this bath, melt it over warm water and it then play with it when it's cooled a bit . If I remember correctly it can have the same texture but obviously be careful it can get quite hot.
Also have you tried silly putty it might be a possible alternative.

@jesussoldier You can try looking at online toy sales for something that is the same texture.

I know Amazon has a section for its products where you can ask questions and get answers from people that have already bought the product.

@jesussoldier This made me laugh my ass off, I'd just die if I got that email from Amazon questions. Now I'm invested. Have you found a suitable replacement for the cheesy wax?

@jesussoldier Have you tried silly putty? It’s pretty resistant the way babybel wax is. And gets softer the more you play with it like babybel wax. If you put it in the fridge for a bit it also gets much harder.

@jesussoldier A little but it wouldn’t stay. If he likes making little models Crayola Model Magic comes in two different varieties. One that’s sort of foamy/light and one that’s stiffer like regular modeling clay. It takes a long time to dry, but once it does it’s permanent. I keep it is ziplock bags. Sometimes my son wants to keep what he makes and we let those “creatures” dry. Plasticine is also good and has an oily texture like Babybel wax. It doesn’t permanently harden but won’t change shape unless you squish it up again.

Back