Help! Pre-k decision for toddler, second baby on the way

ccmrockman

Second time posting (sorry!) really conflicted about two pre-k options for our 2.5 year old, before a new baby arrives. She currently goes to a day-care 2 days week 8-5 ($1160) and we feel like more days and less hours would be better overall. Not to mention something a little lower budget because I won't be able to freelance for a while after the new baby comes.

Our two options are:

Co-op Pre-k

12:30-6 M/W/F for $605 (+$255 yearly fee)

Nice 20ish minute walk or 5 minute drive

Update to co-op: 30 hours of "family jobs" a year (Laundry, making play-dough, etc) can be on the weekend, and required to attend a family meeting once a month for 1.5 hours.

Jewish Pre-k (we are Jewish)

9-1 M/T/W/Th for $999

7-10 minute walk

For those who have a second already, which would be more helpful for me and my WFH spouse?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Thank you everyone for posting! I really appreciate the fresh perspective. While initially we were leaning toward the co-op, my husband and I going forward with the Jewish pre-k.

Your comments that helped us re-evaluate:
  • My husbands WFH schedule: More productive and more meetings in the morning!
  • Consistency of 9-1, 4 days in a row, and closest to a Kindergarten schedule.
  • Potential to nap at home/rest time at home.
  • Closer location on foot, easy for either my husband and I to do drop off/pick up.
  • Rethinking co-op requirements because of exhaustion in the first year of a new baby.
  • She gets to learn/celebrate our holidays in school!
In retrospect the biggest reason we were leaning toward the co-op is the cost, but for an extra 100 dollars a week, if we can have an easier commute, schedule and consistency, it's worth it.

@ccmrockman If it were me I'd pick Jewish. I'm of a mixed race background and would have loved more exposure to my (African) culture beyond in-home. If you can revise your budget, ofcourse.

As for my family, we are 1 income, practically no savings. I am keeping the children home until proper kindergarten. I will be giving my kids the best pre- education I can. So I'm not in your position, but I'm trying to imagine, to offer another perspective.

With the shorter commute and exposure to your Faith, I pick Jewish preschool.

Oh and no additional yearly fee? Plus an additional day per week? Yes. The latter choice you presented.

@manishk012 Of course! I used to belong to a food co-op so it wasn't unfamiliar to me. I will say in general day care/pre-k co-ops tend to be few and far between these days because in a two working parent house-hold they would prefer not to deal with a co-op.

Basically in this case it's a kind of subsidized childcare. The board members are parents who decide the schedule, budget etc, and the requirements are parents will be the rotating "assistants" to the teachers in classrooms, as well as do jobs around the school like laundry, repair, etc. All of these things add up to a lower cost school, and therefore lower cost to the parents.

It's almost as if you had a neighbor and said "Hey, take my kid and your kid for the day on Tuesday, and I'll take your kid and my kid on Thursday, that way we both get a break"

Essentially it requires more effort on the parents to be involved and help but that equals a lower price. Some people would prefer to pay more NOT to do these jobs, but for those on a budget or a SAHP it's a really great option.

@ccmrockman Ah that’s really interesting. We don’t have anything like that in the UK. When you were initially talking about it I thought you meant that you’d have to get your child involved in chores in the home and that’s why I was confused 😂 it sounds like a good idea but even as a SAHP I’d rather not but maybe I would if it halved the price!

Anyway, I think you should go for the 9-1 option. This is what my 3.5 yo does on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When she gets home she chills in front of the tv for an hour with a snack and a juice and is then ready for a nap so really I kind of get 6 hours out of 4 because I’m not actively parenting for those 2 hours when she comes home! Plus when she was a baby she would do a long nap in the morning so your baby may do the same and you’d get that time to yourself

@manishk012
I think if the circumstances were right it could make a lot of sense. If it wasn't for us having a new baby soon we would probably go for it.

Also, side note we are in the bay area where things are a little more hippy/community overall but also it's insanely expensive so co-ops are appealing!

We did decide to move forward with the 9-1 school, so thank you for commenting!

@leozac Thanks for your response! When we initially put her in daycare two days a week, it was so I could freelance and the finances evened out, but since we have no family around, it's also been such a relief mentally/emotionally and we're lucky we can swing it right now. There is a chance the second baby will be 'easy' and maybe the pre-k won't be that necessary but just in case I really want to have something set up. I think I may prefer the Jewish pre-k as well but it's hard to say no to a place thats nearly half the price!

@ccmrockman I’d do 9-1 M-Th .

Eventually baby will be taking nice long morning nap so you really can get a decent break. Also the walk is great: if they feed lunch definitely 100% do it

Also, does co-op have a lot of parental involvement ?
I just had my son last May , and I was so busy and overwhelmed with a toddler and newborn home everyday alone ( aside from 9 hours of
Preschool a week)

I would have not enjoyed a lot of obligations the first year. I was TIRED .

@talisra That's a great point! Sadly neither of them provide lunch.

Yes, I forgot to mention in the post but the co-op does require parent involvement. (One meeting a month, and 30 hours a year doing various jobs) That is a really good point about being that tired - it's just so hard to remember how it felt now being 2+ years out!

What type of pre-k schedule was your toddler in?

@ccmrockman I would pass on the coop just for that reason haha. It’s a lot to manage !!!!

My daughter went to school MWF 9-12 ! It was perfect . And close to home is amazing if you’re trying to coordinate naps schedules with the baby. Or if you’re just running late 😜. My daughters school is a 2 minute drive from my house and it’s been a lifesaver when baby has to nap at 930 and I need to drop off at 9. It’ll also be nice if baby is napping and your husband can be home so you can take toddler solo and not risk interrupting his work if baby wakes up from a nap early. I’d 100% do the 9-1 option. No question .

@ccmrockman I feel like the 9-1 would be best because your little one can take her nap at home after daycare. But man that is expensive. I am sending my little one to Montessori 7:30-3:30 m-f for $700

@ccmrockman If it makes you feel any better our M-F 8-3 preschool is $1400 a month, and everything surrounding is similar. It’s rough.. 😩 but also, 2 days a week for what you’re paying seems insane!! that being said, I’d also go with the Jewish option!! I really only need my daughter there for 1/2 the day anyways (again no real 1/2 day options) because I can get her down for a nap at home. 12:30-6 feels like an awkward time to manage with naps and such. Good luck with the new baby, I’m in a similar boat with a baby coming in a few months and am nervous 😬

@jesusismyanchorinthestorm Thank you! Oh man, I know, it's scary but a friend said "It's hard at first, but then it becomes your new normal and you move on" and for some reason that gives me comfort haha.

In case it wasn't clear we live in the bay area, so everything is $$$$. There is a M-F 9-3 option for 1625, but it felt like too many days/hours for my needs but maybe I'm being naive! So we took that off the table.

@ccmrockman OMG no, you probably don’t need that many hours especially at that price!! I figured it had to be some big city. Ideally I’d do the half-day thing if it were available. I’ve had my 3y/o in a half-day dance camp the last few weeks and it’s so nice to have the morning free, and then she’s tired enough to nap. I feel like that’d be perfect with a baby.

@ccmrockman Hey! I’ve taught toddlers in a Montessori setting for many years before staying home.

I’d 100% choose the Jewish school. The consistent days are SUPER helpful for young children while adjusting to being away from home. The extra day helps significantly too.

Consistency and predictability are huge with toddlers. It would be so much easier for everyone to adjust to consecutive days when establishing a new routine.

Back