Hcg levels didn’t double, not even close - measuring 5 weeks at 6 weeks U/S

domenka

I got my hcg tested on 3/20, it was 1,233. I got my hcg tested again on 3/22, it was 1,263. Anyone have any similar stories and had a successful pregnancy? I am preparing for the worst but also read that anything over 1,200 can take up to 96hrs to double. Should I stay positive? I haven’t talked to my doctor yet.

I also had my first ultrasound on 3/20, was supposed to be 6 weeks but measured 5 weeks with gestational sac only. Anyone had any similar experiences? Please share. Thank you.

@domenka What are your dates based on?

The rise is certainly concerning. While hcg does slow down, yours hardly rose at all so you do have a right to be worried. I would be guarding my heart with this.

@wael Dates were based on LMP. But I tend to ovulate around CD17 with 29 day cycles so could be off a little bit. I know.. called my OB and she said it’s rising but didn’t double and wants me in for another US on Wednesday. So another 5 days from now.

@domenka I would guard your heart at this point. ❤️ By 6w (assuming you have your dates right) you should see a gestational sac and yolk sac. The hcg slowing down this much is also concerning. I’m so sorry I don’t have a more optimistic point of view to share. I wish you the very best no matter what the outcome is and hope you are able to take good and gentle care of yourself in the coming days. ❤️❤️❤️

@domenka Beta hCGs are still very important indicators of how a pregnancy is going, even in the face of one or multiple good ultrasounds. I tell you this not to scare you but so that you can guard your heart. I don’t mean to be insensitive, I’m going through the exact same thing with my betas and a rise similar to yours, so I very much sympathize with the stress and fear you must be feeling. I’ve done a TON of research on the medical literature surrounding this in the past few weeks, and I’d say your betas are definitely cause for concern. Advocate for yourself. I’d ask for another beta so you can see how it’s trending. Ask for an ultrasound to rule out a pregnancy of unknown location (aka a pregnancy that has implanted somewhere other than your uterus). Again, I don’t want to scare you. But I had to teach myself about all of this stuff on the fly recently and learn to advocate for myself. I had to switch OBs because mine was borderline negligent. I wish you all the best.💕

@gnosis1234 Exactly. There is this myth on reddit that hcg doesn't need to do anything after it hits 6000. This isn't true. It may not need to double but it does need a rise of at least 33% in 48 hours. The other myth I see here is that when you have an ultrasound betas don't matter. This is the exact opposite of what any study says on thr matter. That even in the face of 2 or 3 normal scans, if hcg hasn't followed a normal pattern it will still be first trimester loss. I hope I don't sound harsh, and I can feel the pain because i have been there 3 times, and that's why i hate to see woman in the same situation being reassured with false information. I'm so sorry, I hope you get a positive outcome in whatever form that comes in ❤️

@lisaluvsgod I actually think you’re one of the people who broke this news to me a few weeks ago when I was seeking advice-and I appreciate you for it. It allowed me to prepare myself so I didn’t get my heart broken over and over again. Hope is not a bad thing to have, but misinformation is! Many people tried to tell me that once I had a good ultrasound my hCGs meant nothing, and that’s simply, unfortunately not true (based on SO much evidence). No we’re not trying to be harsh. You protected my heart and now I want to protect OP’s. And obviously, I hope I’m proven wrong. ❤️❤️

@gnosis1234 Oh I think I maybe was! I hope your doing OK. It's awful i was in the same situation as you with not normal betas but a normal heartbeat on first scan. People keep trying to tell me all was good and all I felt was this sense of doom and anger that even then it still wasn't over. Once you see the heartbeat I think it changes things as well as now all of a sudden there's this living thing that I felt love for, and I knew I'd never hold it in my arms. I found out mine was a little girl who has trisomy 17 which is kind of rare, and not survivable

@domenka I just went through this with the stalled betas, almost exactly. There was minuscule rise after 1700. I just finished having the miscarriage and am going for an US to make sure all is clear. I lived in beta torment initially, but they were rising well. And then, all of a sudden, they weren’t. I was on progesterone, NAC, and low dose ubiquinol. This makes my fifth miscarriage in a row. I hope, for the both of us, healthy babies soon. All the best to you.

@domenka My beta hcg at 6 weeks was 5780. Two days later, it only jumped to 6180....my midwife said she wasn't hopeful it was viable but ordered a viability US.

I got my scan at 7 weeks, and the baby was measuring 6+5. All important structures were there, and there was a heartbeart. HB was low at 91, but she said it could've just started beating, but to be cautious. I go back this coming week to see if heart rate improved.

I know this isn't exactly the same, but there's hope as the midwife said she didn't think there would be a HB on mine. There was. My betas are higher than yours, but you are within reference range for where you're at.

Are they going to do another US in a week?

Side note: once there's a heartbeat, beta hcg doesn't matter towards viabiltiy anymore. It's still an important number, but OBs rarely check it after the viability US, as it's a better indicator for viability than betas. This is what my OB said.

Edit: what I tell myself when I'm starting to feel anxious or panic is "it's out of my control and I'm pregnant now, and ill enjoy it now"

@thomasking88 Thank you so much for this. I am hoping this is our case! I am getting another blood draw tomorrow and going back for another US on Wednesday. Praying for a good outcome and that our baby is right on track and just kicking around in there. Hoping the same for you 🫶🏼 and I keep trying to repeat to myself that I am pregnant today and it is out of my control. Thank you 💕

Back