graco pack n play nearby seat bassinet safe for unsupervised sleep?

ryanbaptist

My MIL got us a pack n play nearby seat playard and everything I am looking up online doesn't say if it's safe or not for overnight sleep. Does anyone have any input on this? We would like to use it as our bassinet for the baby's first 3 months. Or until she has reached the max weight and height allowance. Also if it is safe for overnight sleep can it be used in the pack n play or should it be put on the floor? I've looked on numerous websites, reached out to graco directly, and even looked up multiple review but cannot seem to get a straight answer.

image of pack n play I am talking about

@alanfgicarl It’s funny in Canada they aren’t considered safe sleep. Unless they have changed the rules. But last time I read about it it was a no. I used the pack and play for some travel and was a little nervous about it but it’s a non issue in my books now.

@ryanbaptist The pack n' play itself is considered to be a safe sleep space for baby, you can use it for unsupervised sleep with the mattress raised (using the included mesh sling that snaps onto the sides, with the included mattress placed inside), and with the mattress at the lower setting. The seat thing included in the one you linked in NOT for sleeping, even supervised. That is only a place to set baby while awake. Babies should not sleep at an incline, as it can cause positional asphyxiation. Baby needs a flat, firm surface. No bedding other than a sheet designed for your crib mattress (for the pack n' play, I recommend the Cloud Island brand Playyard Sheets from Target over the Graco brand, the Graco ones don't fit well in my experience.)

**not a medical professional, just a second time mom.

@ryanbaptist I think we had this one or very similar. First born never fit that bassinet. He wasn’t a huge baby either(other than his head). Just be aware, that baby might grow out of it a lot earlier than 3 months.

But, yeah, if safe sleep so long as they fit and don’t roll

@ryanbaptist I used my graco pack n play bassinet insert for my daughters first three months. It was the budget wise option as the set was a gift and I saw no sense in buying a bassinet if I technically had one. It worked great. I havent used the attachment since then. She outgrew it quickly which is why at 3mo she was put in her crib.

I planned to do the same with my son but was just gifted a standalone bassinet last week.

Any time my daughter got sick and I wanted her to sleep in my room as a baby or sleep elevated we would have her sleep in her swing in the corner. Worked amazing.

@ryanbaptist I used one very similar to this when my babies were young and had great success! I’m not sure if they’re the same style, but the one I had you could remove the infant bed piece and use it as a stand alone bed. That was super convenient. Either way pack and plays are a wonderful alternative while baby is still getting used to the outside world.

@ryanbaptist Check the verbiage in the manual. If it is called a “bassinet” it is regulated and safe for sleep. If it’s a sleeper or another name, it is not. My pack n play called the upper level the “bassinet” and the attachment was a “sleeper”. See what your manual calls each piece and it also should explain which parts are safe.

Back