Flu Quarantine ramblings

basabeo

My wife and I are both nurses with a fair whack of experience in healthcare and are blessed with 14m/o trippies (2 boys, 1 girl). Things have been going fairly well for a year however, this week I’ve come home from work with flu (yes, I had my vaccination). Currently I’m quarantined in my bedroom with no baby contact for at least 4 days so I thought I might share some of my experiences and comments for the day when someone else might have the same problem.

1) Don’t assume that this won’t happen to you. It’s fairly easy to have plans for all eventualities. Having a parent down with triplets is going to be a major drag for the upright parent considering they’re now outnumbered 3-to-1 and have a poorly spouse to care for too. It’s not too complicated to ensure that you have a ready stock of disinfectant wipes, face masks and gloves. But you also need to consider, do you have two sleeping areas for parents, unfortunately, this might result in the upright parent sleeping on the floor in another room. And ideally, what do you do about bathrooming if you only have one bathroom. How much risk are you willing to take to ensure that you don’t spread a virus between all of your babies.

2) No matter how amazing the upright parent is, you need to consider, what help is genuinely available – I don’t mean the friends that say they’ll “be there whenever you need me hon”. I mean the family who actually will. As we found yesterday (more in a moment), you need to order your contacts by reliability and trustworthiness, not by how often they pop by on a whim.

3) Do you have your “Hospital GO bag ready”? I put together a GO bag for hospital after having to take one of the trippies for emergency surgery in Bristol and my wife and I massively overcompensating with the packing. I had to navigate the hills of Bristol with a screaming baby and a pram filled with bottles, snacks, books and tat. Almost all of which was totally unused. Now, I’m prepared for any overnight stay with a simple carrier bag containing pants and a t-shirt for me, 2 generic babygrows and vests for whichever trippie I might be with, a bottle of formula, a phone charger, 4 nappies, the last of a pack of wipes and a spare carrier bag for laundry. Coupled with a phone, a wallet and what I’m wearing I’m good to go in 20 seconds.

4) While my wife and I were prepared for hospital and prepared for quarantine. We never seriously considered both happening simultaneously. So when our our little girl required a paramedic yesterday (resp rate of 60 + temp) and a trip to A&E my wife immediately had to ring around our contacts looking for a sitter for the boys. My coming downstairs to help was not an option. Fortunately, after being reminded of point 2 we found someone who could help until my wifes mother got home from work. We should have planned this much better, the risk of a baby getting sick while a parent I sick is much higher and while I can self-medicate and am at a relatively lower risk the children are much more likely to need a hospital visit.

5) Lying here in my bed I’m not totally useless. Between regular snoozes there’s a handful of things I can do. I can keep hydrated and on top of my meds (H has enough to do), I can order groceries, I can do the banking, keep up with my reading. It’s not practical but it’s something and it takes the burden off of H. I can also do my part to make sure that the surfaces I touch are clean and wiped down after use.

6) I’ve not help my babies for 2 days now and I have at least 2 more to go. I can only see them when they are asleep so they don’t clamour for me and to do that I need to be wearing a mask. I’m fully invested in keeping them safe from harm but it takes a lot of emotional strength to only see your babies for a few seconds at night after they've gone to sleep.

I’d love to hear any advice from other people who have been through the same.

@basabeo Hang in there! I was you last year. I was pregnant and on bedrest for a short cervix when one of our twins got sick and had to go to urgent care. She ended up having pneumonia and having to stay for observation. Not wanting me and the unborn baby to get sick, my husband stayed. Meanwhile, our carseats were all in one car, I was under lifting restrictions and couldn't pick up the other twin, and then it snowed. I had to call a friend whose husband was home so she could drive over with her empty carseats to pick up me and the healthy twin, then hang out with the healthy twin while we waited for my mother to get off work and drive over in the snow. Then, one of our dogs got sprayed by a skunk and took a lap through the house so that everything had to be washed to be deskunked, which involved my mother and aunt taking loads of laundry to and from our house for several days.

It's great your MIL can help. You need to find another few people would will be reliable. Call those people out who said "I can help anytime." Rest and get better so you can help your wife soon. And, try to give your wife some time off for her once you can. Even if she just wants to nap. Also, great job with the go bag. We created one after the pneumonia observation when we didn't have anything we needed with us.

@dee436 Wow, skunks, they sound so cute... But I've never seen one in reality so that probably makes a big difference. Too true about calling out unreliable "call-me-anytimers" they mean well in their way BUT add delay and stress to stressful situations.

Thanks about the bag, I've used my GO bag 4 times since Williams op and it's been an absolute blessing.

@basabeo This is off topic, but I can’t believe you’ve never seen a skunk. They are super adorable btw. But never get close. This may be a silly question... but what animals do you have running around like skunks? Possums? Raccoons?

I hope you feel better soon! Send your wife some flowers ;) she’s a rock star!

@krimmie North Devon is pretty much Wind in the Willows land. Lots of foxes and badgers, plenty of deer, occasional otters, hawks, wild ponies and a mythical Exmoor Beast.

@basabeo Oh I love it! We don’t have any foxes in our area of the United States, but my sister does. She send me pictures occasionally of them. So cute!
We also have Big Foot/Sasquatch that roam our wooded areas ;)

@basabeo Uggh. Feel better soon! Luckily the shots do make it easier to get over.

We all had flu a few weeks ago. We'd all gotten the immunization in October, but our oldest (5yo) brought it home and stayed home one day sick, we thought it was a really bad cold because we got the shots(?), then just under a week later we all had it - both parents and both (1yo) twins. The pediatrician swabbed baby boy's nose and confirmed it was flu.

Help was very useful. We sent oldest to her grandma's because we just couldn't keep up with her. Baby boy had a 104 fever, baby girl never got that high but was ultra clingy. Husband got the first few days to recuperate while I was primary baby caretaker, then I got the second few days to recover and he was primary baby caretaker. We alternated ibuprofen and tylenol. Twins and adult got lukewarm baths as often as was practical. We napped 3x a day. They didn't want to eat or drink at first, which was scary, but I got them to eat blueberries. As soon as I could I wiped down surfaces with disinfectant and bleached the baby jackets, sheets, bath mats, and towels.

We got Tamiflu for everyone. It was given to us as a prophylactic because the twins are high risk - do you think your pediatrician would prescribe it for your wife and triplets?

@marie2018 Sadly, brexit Britian is stockpiling meds, I did ask our GP about tamiflu and its currently a no-go outside of extreme cases. Which is frankly terrifying.

I like that you both took a few days as primary and then as rester, that sounds mucv more realistic than my plan of a few hours eachway.

Glad you're all better now.

@basabeo Oh my gosh I’m in a similar situation here except we all have the flu. My twins are older - 4.5 years old. One has medical problems so we were most concerned about her the first couple days. Funny you mention the hospital bag because I always have one on hand. After a couple trips to the ER, she’s come through ok and it’s just the rest of us now. Having to take care of others while you’re feeling sick is really rough. I literally opened a can of soup for lunch just now and had to go lie down on the couch because I’m spent.

So stay in quarantine. It’s hard not to feel guilty for not being able to be hands on, but the best thing you can do for your family right now is stay away. I hope you feel better soon!

@eternityondemand Thanks, I think 9 years of nursing means that I shake off bugs quite quickly but this is my first time not able to see the kids. I hope you are managing OK, it sounds awful. H and I have plans for simultaneous flu now which is mostly a daytime shift pattern of rest and babytime but I think it'll need working out in reality one day (preferably in the far future (or never)).

My big takehome from this experience is that I quarantine patents for WEEKS and I can barely stand 48 hours!

@basabeo We had a scare with measles a few years ago. There was an outbreak at my husband's university before the kids were old enough to be vaccinated. The doctors at the clinic knew our situation, so when he went to ask their opinion on how to reduce exposure risk for the kids they just gave him a booster. So if you're ever in doubt, talk to your doctors, worst case you get a booster you didn't really need.

Keeping a few soups in the house is always a great idea. Frozen home made or canned from the store doesn't matter, just something that someone can cook instantly without having to put in effort in case it does rip through the entire house (we had three different strains of the flu last year after we got our boosters. Our GP was shocked).

For your GO BAG: My husband has a lot of health issues so we usually end up in the ED three times a year (including Christmas day last year, with surgery complications requiring emergency surgery to correct), so I have my bag in the boot at all times.
  • Pants: Grow-with-me pants such as maxaloones are a great idea. Otherwise leggings or track pants. Just grab black, you want function, not fashion. (Leggings are my preference as they're easiest to deal with sizes, if they're too big just scrunch up the legs, if they're too small they're capris.)
  • T-shirts or onesies depending on the age of your child. Button-close shirts are always a good option to have in case of head or arm injuries.
  • Hoodies or blankets, even in summer. Hospital air conditioning is no joke.
  • A large towel and some hand towels. (Head wounds are very common in pre-schoolers and bleed profusely even when a wound is quite small.)
  • A baby carrier such as a ring sling is a great idea, even for older children.
  • Two bags. One for clean items, one for soiled. I use Ikea bags because they're what I have on hand.
  • A change of clothes for each parent. Again, trackpants, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. It's the ED, not a wedding. Oh, and hair ties for any long hair.
  • 6-8 diapers in each size in zippy freezer bags. Better if you just chuck a whole small pack in there (because you will end up raiding it for emergency changes). Or a couple of cloth diapers, even if you don't use them any other time, they make great emergency diapers.
  • Wipes and tissues. Duh.
  • And underwear. Lots of underwear. The shorts kind, boxer briefs and boyshort undies, there's a good chance during toilet training they will just end up in underwear and no pants, it's fine.
  • A box of museli bars or crackers. Things preferably unaffected by heat changes that last a long time.
  • Change/cash. From the vending machine to parking to grabbing maccas on the way home at 3am, carry some actual money, just in case.
Now here's the tricks. You want two changes of clothes per child per size. When your kids are little they grow fast, so it's likely you'll either forget to restock the car with each size change. Grab alternating sizes (so like 3-6m, 12-18m, 3t, etc) and get them two or three size options in advance because you never know when you'll be doing an ED trip and when your kids are going to have growth spurts.

Zip lock bags are good for separating sizes and condensing the space things take up by eliminating air.

@heathercc7774 Thanks for all of the good advice. My GO bag is quite similar although I only include clothes for me (H has her own bag) and given the location of all of the major hospitals southwest England I know I can always get some supermarket junk food once my baby is safe. Pretty much everything is on debit card now so I have a roll of £1 for parking but I've yet to use it.

I changed my GO bag a few months ago so it doesn't include any baby clothes but does have a list if what to grab. Essentially our trippies are different sizes so we need to ensure we have the largest size clothes to save delays. Also, I added a baby sleeping bag. I've added a night 2 GO bag to the outside of the first that can be quickly filled with essentials and left in the car if I think a multiple night stay will be required. More than 2 nights will require a supermarket stop and accommodation so I don't plan any further than that.

I don't pack extra clothes except for t-shirts, underwear and sleep shorts as carrying spare trousers/shirts is a significant bulk and I will wear clean if I'm going to hospital.

My shameful secret is that I always wear my Intensive care nurse hoodie to hospital as I know the effect it has on other staff across the region. Our ICU has a reputation for excellence and some of our staff can be very intimidating. I'm not an intimidating nurse but it pays to sometimes look the part.

@basabeo I was you about a month ago. Had a fever for a week. Ended up with pneumonia. Was down for about a week and half. Hang in there and get some rest. Luckily the wife and babies didn't get it.

@basabeo Tamiflu and the initial immunization do wonders, we had one of the trips come down with the type b strain last Thursday. Took the other two in on Monday and both tested negative, the flu for the one that did test positive ended up being very mild and she’s already recovered.

@katrina2017 Tamiflu is more restricted in the UK at the moment as the country goes into brexit lockdown (we're really screwed). But at work we find it is effective at lessening the effects more quickly although recovery time seems unchanged.

I've been immunised every year I've been a nurse and this is the first time I've had flu since my prenirsong days. The trippies are still too young so it's really bad timing this year.

Back