Family related work in school

towerwatchman

Hi ,

In a school class( grade 1) , my daughter’s school teacher asked them to make 3 columns and write names / draw father , mother , sibling ( Family )

My daughter wrote the parents names and drew them in the 2 columns and said 0 siblings in the third.

I saw that work/ page and felt a bit sad. It is a fact but I felt sad and was wondering if my daughter would have felt sad writing “ I have 0 siblings”. I
Felt a bit sad and guilty but didn’t ask my child about her feelings etc.

What di you think ? Should i talk to her or just let it go?
Also wondered if this is a good exercise in schools ?

@towerwatchman Why catastrophize something for your kid where they may not be fazed? If she seems down, absolutely ask her what’s up, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to preemptively insert your own feelings of guilt and sadness into her school projects.

@towerwatchman There are definitely other kids that wrote this too. Many families I know didn’t have a 2nd child until 1st/2nd grade, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Also, there will definitely be other onlys! There’s at least 4 in my daughter’s 3rd grade.

@ronaldus Yep! No need to make this more of an issue than it is! And it's common for early school projects to have some discussion about students' family members - OP is being overly sensitive here. Projecting your own sadness/insecurity does the child no favors, and she may start to feel negative about being an only child when she has zero reason to! Parents attitudes and mindsets absolutely affect how their children perceive things!

@towerwatchman Hi!

I am a lower elementary teacher and I would say this is an appropriate activity. It’s true, she does have 0 siblings. She is also most likely not the only one in her class to have 0. I don’t know what the overall unit was (math about me, families unit, baby animals, etc). I’m sure the teacher will address different types of families with care.

It also sounds a little like you are projecting feelings onto your daughter here. I get it, I’m OAD mostly by choice but also by circumstance, and I wonder if my daughter will be sad not having siblings. But I also don’t want her to think it’s something to be ashamed of, something that she should avoid talking about, or that it is a negative thing that makes her different from her peers. If you want your daughter (and her classmates) to see a OAD household as normal, then they have to see examples of it and talk about. Just like if we want to normalize children having two mommies, no mommies, step-families, etc. These are all valid types of families that should be talked about and celebrated!

I have a book I love to read with my classes when we talk about our families at the beginning of the year (so that I can get to know my students and their family dynamics). It’s called “One Family” and it talks about families of all sizes! Another good one is “All Kinds of Families”.

@towerwatchman Plenty of people have 0 siblings and are happy. Having a sibling does not equal happiness. A lot of people that do have siblings would agree that they can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

@ababwaalijaz Agreed. She mentioned one time a while back she wanted a sister, but it was fleeting, and I didn’t chase that (or explain the biology of it all) any further. She’d much rather have a dog. That’s a whole other conversation, of course, but that’s the plan for her in the near future.

@towerwatchman Commenting because my 3.5 year old just finished a semester of “who we are” in her early years class. A lot of the work centered around identifying and naming family members. A lot of her classmates are also getting brand new baby siblings. My toddler mentioned a few times how she wanted a baby sister and we talked about that and how hard it is to take care of a newborn in the house and how I’d have less time to spend with her. I didn’t avoid talking about it, and I didn’t approach it with any sadness. We love our family just as it is!

Also, her teachers included our dog as a sibling, so that was unexpected and fun!