Do you give your children medication (e.g. Tylenol) when they have a fever?

jaxson

I've seen more and more research on the benefits of not giving kids (or us adults) medication when they spike a fever and, instead, allow the fever to play its part and get them healthy again. I'm curious how many others take this "let it ride" approach.

@jaxson If my two year old has a 103 fever, hell yeah I’m giving him Tylenol. If he’s at 101, No, unless he’s uncomfortable or has trouble sleeping. If he can’t sleep how’s his body going to have the energy to fight whatever it is he has? It really depends on the situation. I do the same for myself.

@jaxson It depends how she is feeling. If she has a low fever but still drinking and not miserable - I don’t automatically medicate just for the fever itself.

Usually when the fever goes above 102 or so she starts feeling pretty bad. Kids that are feeling that bad will stop eating and drinking and dehydration becomes your concern (on top of not allowing your kid to be needlessly miserable when you could help with a dose of Tylenol).

Give medicine based on how the child is looking and acting, not what the thermometer says is the recommendation of our pediatrician.

@step777 I agree with this but I wanted to add that I'll give them something for a fever if they had one at night because I can't keep an eye on them all night and they need sleep too.

@brightflame Another doc here. Giving meds if the person with a fever is in discomfort and/or when the fever is very high (39C is my personal threshold). Usually they complain of something (headache, sore throat, fatigue) before the fever climbs to the extremes.

Not opening the medicine cabinet for a mild fever when the child feels okay but I’d never let them suffer unnecessarily.

Also obvs doing everything else recommended by western medicine when a child is sick (rest, fluids, etc.)

@jan1996 Not a doc, but mom of 3. I used to give meds for fever then on my third kid our pediatrician explained the age the body’s way of making the host a less suitable environment for the virus while the immune system does it thang. Now I only give it when they need it to be comfortable not just bc the thermometer is reading a certain number.